What sort of rotary encoder?

Robin

Hello.

I'm about to buy all the parts for the basic SID synth, with a 6501, Control Surface A.

I don't really understand anything about rotary encoders...are these the same as 'rotary switches'? if so, how many poles and throws do I need?

would this one be the right sort?

http://www.voti.nl/shop/catalog.html

Also, does anyone know a UK supplier?

Many thanks.

Robin

GDay Robin welcome aboard :)

You should have a look around before you ask questions, the answers are right before you. First, click the link to the WIKI (up there^) and then the link to the FAQ, then pick the option about encoders down the bottom.

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=questions_and_answers#what_s_the_difference_between_pots_sliders_motorfaders_and_encoders

There are two suppliers which most people use, either voti or smash's store. Have a search around of course, but their prices seem excellent. For example an encoder from smash is US$1, so it's cheaper for me to buy it, convert the cash from aussie dollar to US, ship it here for 2 bucks (or much less really) than to buy them locally for almost $8 each.

This topic should probably go in the parts archive, no big woop, but just a tip for next time.

Hope that helps

Yeah.

I did check the WIKI, but I looking the 'Parts' section, under 'Encoders', so.....

Anyway, thanks for that...I'm going to have to buy one of the VOTI ones I think, because although Smash is cheaper, I imagine I'll get charged import taxt...

Searching the wiki returns a hit from the FAQ, but thankyou for pointing out that flaw in the documentation, I have fixed it up now, but in future please don't hesitate to make improvements! Your input is extremely valuable, especially when you are new, because you are seeing everything with fresh, unbiased eyes.