Found a new possible PSU for my SID?

marcus77

Hi there

As I'm quite a noob I have a bit of trouble realizing the "optimized" version of the PSU for the Sid.I was going to use the original PSU of the C64, but I got lucky and found a more recent PSU somewhere at home that seems actually perfect.It was used as a Psu on a TV/Lan modem (whatever that is, I can't figure out what that box actually did...) and delivers two voltages: 12VDC /1A and 5VDC/ 4A , all in a quite small box, less heavy than the C64 one.

I might be wrong but if I understood well, the Sid requires 12V (I will have one 6581 and one 8580 running, so the 7809 should do it's work on the 8580 to convert to 9V, no?) and the Core needs 5V.

So if that's right then I should be able just to connect everything to its right pins ... and bingo, no need to start soldering rectifiers and caps on a new board. ;D

Here's also a link to a datasheet of this PSU:

http://www.aultinc.com/products/v2/assets/SC200SC300TA0012F01.pdf

Tell me what you think of this (it's the model SC200)

best regards, marcus

Honestly? I think that if you're a newbie and having trouble following well documented procedures for a known-good solution, you'd be mad to start experimenting with it... especially when it comes to power...

Maybe we can help with the c64 psu?

From the linked PDF:

Topology Switching - fixed frequency flyback

Switching power supplies generate tons of noise on the power/ground rails, and are not usually suitable for powering audio circuits.....A forum search will get you more info about this.

You want a "linear" power supply, run screaming from anything switch-mode.  :)

Best

Smash

You can spend ages hunting for other PSUs, but the C64 one is pretty much the best, unless you build your own transformer and then start playing with mains power. The C64 PSU gives you two separate voltages, 5v DC and 9v AC (which you can combine to get 14v DC to power the SID modules). I've helped you out already regarding rectifiers and capacitors. You will have to get a bit of prototyping board and put the rectifier and some capacitors on it, and assuming you're also using the C64 case, you can put it all on a narrow little bit of board next to the power socket and switch from the C64 motherboard, and reuse that neat little black metal bracket. You can even reuse the screws that hold the original C64 motherboard to hold this board down, and screw that black metal bracket to the board too.

Sorry if this sounds too condescending, but a self-admitted electronics noob should just follow the circuit as presented, instead of wandering off into totally unfamiliar territory... and also, you would be best to get a known good solution working before experimenting with a different PSU design.