Help W/ Project!

thetimboroni

Hello all.

I am building a MIDI controller for Ableton for a major project in school.  It will have 67 pots, 11 faders, and 42 buttons for a total of 120.

I need to know more about the core.  If I buy the "core kit" ($15) from SmashTV will I need more than that to hook up all my buttons and pots?  Also I'm still very confused about the PIC header deal.  Do I even need that or is that just for LED displays?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TIM

Woa.  Backup a bit man. 

for a major project in school.

It sounds like you may have made a major commitment without fully understanding what your getting into.  You need to have a much better idea about how to make a MIDIBox before you decide to get graded on it  ;)

The questions you've asked are all answered in the regular documentation to your left.  This isn't something you are likely to finish in a couple months, so I would strongly reccomend you do something else for school, and continue here as a hobby, build at least one of the standard MB devices first, then work on a custom unit. 

haha it's ok they won't know the difference if it works or not.  They'll be impressed by all the knobs and buttons anyways.

I have until late February to finish this though so I think I can do it.

Having read and searched this forum this is what I understand:

I can do what I want by linking two of those cores together.  What I still don't get though is if I can just use two of those that I found or if I need a MB64e...

Also w/ the core, do I also need to buy a DIN for actually hooking all the inputs up?

Thanks

Also w/ the core, do I also need to buy a DIN for actually hooking all the inputs up?

Again, you need to do some more reading and building before you commit to doing such a large project for school.

the Digital INput module is the *only* way to hook up inputs, and you probably don't need 2 cores, not right away.

The MB64e application is what you are going to base this project on, adapting the midi messages sent to control Abelton.  There are many other people who have done this, keep reading and give yourself *plenty* of time to digest the information.  Your really jumping the gun a bit :)

I don't want to discourage you, but it is somewhat unreasonable to expect someone to absorb the amount of information around here in a couple months.  I would strongly reccomend building a simple MB first, then think about how to make a custom one.  Start with just 16 buttons and 16 encoders (one DIN board).

What is your level of technical expirience?  Programming?  Electronics?  Soldering? 

Also, before even reading any more of the forum material, it would be a good idea to go to the ucapps link at the top of this page and read all about the MIDIbox 64e project, and for background, maybe the MIOS pages.  That site is the starting point for all the discussions on these forums, and reading thoroughly there will answer most of your questions.  Good luck with it, if you've got till February a working 64e seems a reasonable project.

Woah Dude... You got your work cut out for you in the next few months. Forget about your families and friends ;D , coz that is a major project. ;)

I know its sounds exciting, but keep in mind these projects takes a lot of time plus money. ;)

Well first off, do this, before commiting to this project:

1. Prototype out your user interface layout. i.e. switches and pots, & encoders. Draw the actual pots and switches on a big cardboard box, this helps alot.

2. Count how many inputs and outputs, then you'll figure out your total modules. DIN's/DOUT's etc.

3. Read the funny but informative n00b 4 dummies: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=3650.0

4. If you are still conviced that this project is for you... Start ordering your kits and stuff.  ;D

enjoy!!

Do a clockbox or something man, keep it simple. You can link it to a drum box and show them how turning the knob changes the tempo.

I agree 100%.. ;)

But I think our n00b friend might ask where is the link to the clockbox?

Search the forum brah-dah!!  ;D

cheers!!