Transport controler

jajucius

Hi

I need to build a controler with just the transport controls stop. play. record ect for my booth so i dont have to run in and out to start recording. i build guitar effects so i have electronic experiance. this stuff i am not shure of if some one could give me some ideas i would owe you one. if someone would want to build one for me i could trade some service work for it, see i do powder coating and silk screening, heres my site

www.kustompowder.net

but if someone could even draw up something that would work it would be helpfull.

Thank you

Joe

Joe,

I had pieced together some pictures a while back of different designs, mostly transports and basic mute solo boxes. The designs may be more than what you're talking about, but they might at least give you a "visual".

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=5956.0

Another option is to replace the guts of an existing controller. I've been hanging on to a JLCooper "Control Station" transport control for a while, which supports the old Mac ADB keyboard protocol (pretty much worthless now). The plan is to replace the mainboard with a small core/D.In circuit, or whatever is needed. It's a great looking case, complete with relevant silkscreening, and it was dirt cheap (9 bucks or something). There's also alternatives from semi-obsolete gear, like the Tascam RC-71 (used by the 122 decks and some multitracks), and maybe the Alesis LRC (should be billions of them, plus people with BRC's and racks of ADAT's got a free useless one with every ADAT purchase).

Cheap cheap alternative is a small drum machine or something with it's MIDI note messages mapped to Nuendo's generic remote device. I've used an SR-16 for that a bunch of times. Hard, positive tactile feel buttons are probably better as transport controls, so maybe an old "non-velocity sensitive" machine with hard plastic buttons would feel better (like a Roland 505 era box).

I'll give you a heads-up on a certain flaw in Steinberg's GR though: It won't transmit MIDI messages for changes you make on the external controller. For instance, if you made a box with solo lights and buttons, your lights would only light up if you hit the onscreen buttons in Nuendo. If you solo'd from the controller, nothing would go out from the DAW. I'm guessing the record arm lights are the same way, but I'm not sure about the main transport record light.

Take care and good luck!

George     

Sounds like it might be good to go right out of the box (if it's got its own internal MIDI interface). Mine has the ADB 4 pin, then there are com port versions (which may actually still work on PC). The CS10s are the same way. I've got one which is actual MIDI connections, but there are serials and ADB on them too. They've got some cool obscure stuff. The sync boxes and CS10s are all over the place, but once in a while you'll see some Cooper thing from ten or fifteen years ago that you've never seen and may never see again. There was some crazy looking rackmount drum module by them in the "MSB patchbay" looking gray and white style on there a few months back. Looked like 4 or 5 spaces, maybe in vertical, modular units. :o

Good luck with the Control Station,

George

PS- MMC (MIDI Machine Control) is a set of MIDI commands for transport control and track arming stuff. Nuendo supports that as well. (sorry if you knew that already)