MIDIbox SID-NUXX is Done!

c0nsumer

IMG_4708.JPG

I don't have all the final info up yet, but I'm pretty excited about this so I thought I'd post now then add more later. My project, the MIDIbox SID-NUXX is finally complete. What you see there are my two MIDIbox SID-NUXX's, one with a 6581 and the other with an 8580. The red box in the middle is a friend's 6581-based one, but he hasn't yet brought the SID by for me to plug it in.

Everything works great, and they sound really nice. I'll be finishing the documentation at my site tomorrow, with any luck. Then it's on to the next project. It'll be either the 9090, Casio SK-1 MIDI Mod (which I received the PCBs for today), a PIC-based Nixie clock, or maybe simply taking a bit of a break for a few days. While I learned a ton on this project, it was a lot of work. Almost comparable to back when I built a full stand-up MAME cabinet in 2000, only smaller.

Anyway, that's all for now. I'll add more info once I have it, but for now it's bed time.

-Steve

Looks great!  Once I started getting back into my projects this last week, I realized that I had almost finished assembling the PCBs for my MIDIbox SID when I shelved it almost two years ago (!!).  Then came the matter of needing a case, of course!  Are you using the Hammond 1455-series extruded aluminum cases?  Could I possibly get the part number from you - they seem to just be purpose-built for the MIDIbox SID!

Whoops, just reading your SID-NUXX Wiki, I realized that you made your own board for this one.  Still, I'm pretty sure that one could fit both CORE and SID boards into such a case...

[EDIT]:  Further reading of your wiki reveals the Hammond 1455T1601 as the model.  Duh, I'm a moron  ::)

• 2 weeks later...

[EDIT]:  Further reading of your wiki reveals the Hammond 1455T1601 as the model.  Duh, I'm a moron  ::)

Sorry, took me a while to reply to it... Yeah, those are the cases I use. They also have a deeper model which may fit your needs better. Check out Hammond's site, they make a whole bunch of different cases.

Also, you might want to try downloading my .FPD files, as you can just delete everything internally and use the outline and drill holes. They work perfectly with the enclosure. Then again, it's not too hard to draw your own, as Hammond provides PDFs and DXFs for almost all their enclosures.

By the way, the site has been updated to reflect the completion of the project along with a bit more info. Beyond my two, one friend has built his from the parts I send, and another picked up his from me yesterday and we dropped in his SID. Those two are working great as well. :) I'm really happy with how these came out... Now, on to new projects. :D