SIDx6 ?

13rian

So as I am completing my first MBSID project, I have begun thinking about a 6 channel SID for my midi-guitar rig. 6 channels are necessarey for getting individual pitchbend per string. I know I can power up to 4 CORE/SID boards with a PSU, but what are the chances that I could build a PSU that would run 6x CORE and 6x SID? Any ideas?

- b

thanks gang. i barely have time to solder and practice, so i'll most likely wait and see what V2 has going on.

Yea, that's your best bet to wait for SIDv2 as it is probably not all that far off, and according to the preliminary wishlist of features and recent talk on the forum, a 6 SID setup(x8 even!) will most likely be possible with the new PIC18F4620. (from what I can tell at least)

-tel3

MBSID V2 might support 6+ note polyphony but it won't be six SID channels (i.e. not six different patches running  on six separate Core/SID pairs). You might get away with six "simple" single oscillator patches running on two SIDs... but I suspect what you want is six separate SIDs.

While the V1 (and V2) control surface can only edit patches on the master and three other slave SIDs, you could, in theory, add another two slaves and make them use the same device ID (i.e. they are like clones of the third slave perhaps). That way, SIDs #4, #5 and #6 always run the same patch... and with a tiny bit of coding, you can lock the MIDI channel of SIDs #5 and #6 so they can be played independently of the others.

It's a bit of a hacky workaround solution, but then you would benefit from having some control over the extra two, like simple patch loading (sharing the BankSticks of the rest of the setup) and even parameter editing... and as I suspect what you really want is six channels of the same patch, the fact that SIDs #4, #5 and #6 are locked into the same patch wouldn't really bother you much, right?

thanks again.

having not completed my first MBSID (my smash kit was missing some components and i am working on the optimized PSU still) I don't have a deep understanding of the functionality yet, so this forum has been an invaluable resource.

it sounds like the locking of midi channels would be the best approach. for the most part i will be running one patch on the SID. i have a reaktor patch dedicated to my other hardware synths, and basically it allows me to make presets and morph between them by morphing between reaktor snapshots and sending all the necessary CC's. I am hoping i can get the SID working in a similar fashion. With this setup I don't really need banksticks, built-in controls, or an LCD. I do of course have controls that feed the reaktor patch but that's more of a global thing.

so this entire conversation has shed some light on the problems i will have with addressing the array of SID modules, which i'm glad i am now aware of. After reading more about V2, it definitely seems worth waiting. If the MultiMode is implemented as described on the wishlist, I could even get by with 2xSID, one oscillator per string. But with a small stack of SID chips here waiting to be used, it's more likely that I will shoot for 4 to 6 SIDs  :) Either way I can finish my rookie 1xSID in the meantime and try to wait it out for V2. Thanks again everyone, you've been extremely helpful.

- b

theoretically that sounds fine. and i suppose that's one thing they be built-in with V2. I might toy with that on my own, but i definitely think that more than one osc per string would be a lot more fun. maybe 4xSID, with 2 osc per string/channel would be enough. It would certainly be constructable onn the hardware side with the current MBSID boards.

- b