Questions about SID audio ground

Wilba

I don't know much about audio grounding, is there someone here who does?

Basically I'm putting multiple SIDs on a single PCB and want to know the best way to connect the grounds. I'm thinking of using a ground plane to connect the phono jack grounds and the SID's grounds (i.e. the SID's voltage regulator ground, the audio buffer ground, and the SID's Vss pin). This would be separate to the ground used by the rest of the components (i.e. the digital components like shift registers and PICs).

SmashTV's latest SID PCB uses a ground plane between SID and phono jack, but what I'm wondering if it's OK to connect multiple SIDs on the one ground plane.

For what it's worth, the SID documentation says to run separate 12V/9V, 5V, and ground lines for the SID back to the power supply. I'm not sure how much of a difference it'll make on a board as small as a MIDIbox one, but... well... it's what the docs say.

Also, using a switching jack, tie the audio input to ground when it's not in use. That way anything odd won't inadvertently be picked up by it when no cable is connected.

For what it's worth, the SID documentation says to run separate 12V/9V, 5V, and ground lines for the SID back to the power supply.

Yeah I told you that!

In the current layout, I've separated the power and ground lines of the SID from everything else. I interpreted that bit of the datasheet to mean that you don't want a lot of digital components on the same 5V/ground lines as the SID. In my current SID setup, I've connected each SID together with wires, just like the "optimised PSU" circuit, and that's what I've done in my PCB as well, but I'm just trying to work out whether to run a ground line from each SID to the phono jack, or connect the phono jack grounds together and tie it to the PSU ground, or whack a big ground plane around it all.

Yeah I told you that!

Oh, heh. Sorry. I've clearly had too many conversations here.

In the current layout, I've separated the power and ground lines of the SID from everything else. I interpreted that bit of the datasheet to mean that you don't want a lot of digital components on the same 5V/ground lines as the SID. In my current SID setup, I've connected each SID together with wires, just like the "optimised PSU" circuit, and that's what I've done in my PCB as well, but I'm just trying to work out whether to run a ground line from each SID to the phono jack, or connect the phono jack grounds together and tie it to the PSU ground, or whack a big ground plane around it all.

In all honesty, I don't think it'll matter that much. The noise bug from the 6581 will override any little bit of noise you'd hear from that... Personally, I'd do the separate sid/photo/psu ground if it isn't hard, but otherwise I'm sure it'd be fine running all your grounds on the same plane.