Another working MBSID :D and some questions...

ris8_allo_zen0

Hi all,

this is my first post in this GREAT project & community... I'm writing mainly to say thanks to TK and everyone here: just a hour ago I managed to get some sounds from my MBSID!!! And I'm really really happy...

At the moment I'm powering the core and Sid boards with a 12V supply from a wall adapter. I know it's not enough for the 7812, but I wanted to play as soon as possible... strangely, it looks like the Sid is working well with 9-10V too. And here the questions begin:

1) do I risk something in these non-optimal conditions?

2) I found a switching supply from an old laptop. It provides 18V@1A, and the led inside lights even with no load (I read the issue about switching supplies...). Is it good for MBSID?

3) to power core & sid, I connected the sid 7812 output to the core 7805 input, so  the voltage difference would be divided by the two chips. If the answer to the above question is yes, can I keep this layout when "upgrading" to the laptop PSU?

4) has anybody tried to build a PS/2 mouse to IIC converter? I'm thinking about using some old PS2 mouses w/ ball to get something alternative to the encoders (which I don't find anywhere except Mouser's site!)... I think I'm even able to make such a converter, and to share the results obviously...

Thank you for the attention... and my best wishes for this project and this community!!

Enrico

Hey welcome aboard! I hope you'll share pics of your MB soon :)

1) do I risk something in these non-optimal conditions?

Brownouts and maybe frying the wall wart

2) I found a switching supply from an old laptop. It provides 18V@1A, and the led inside lights even with no load (I read the issue about switching supplies...). Is it good for MBSID?

Switching is no good but if you search you'll find converters. Just use a c64 PSU it's easier :)

3) to power core & sid, I connected the sid 7812 output to the core 7805 input, so  the voltage difference would be divided by the two chips. If the answer to the above question is yes, can I keep this layout when "upgrading" to the laptop PSU?

Serial regs supposedly introduce noise. That may not be true but it's the widely accepted rumour ;)

4) has anybody tried to build a PS/2 mouse to IIC converter? I'm thinking about using some old PS2 mouses w/ ball to get something alternative to the encoders (which I don't find anywhere except Mouser's site!)... I think I'm even able to make such a converter, and to share the results obviously...

I think there was talk of a PS2 interface but I haven't seen it :(

Hey welcome aboard! I hope you'll share pics of your MB soon :)

Sure! They're attached in the post. As you can see, I tried to stack the boards using those nuts-bolts used to mount PC motherboards... and I'm quite satisfied with the result. I had to lay down the 2200uF cap of the Sid module to reduce overall height: there's enough room on the board to do this, was it TK's intention??

I obtained the ribbon cables and IDC connectors by cutting and "sawing" from old IDE/floppy cables... I can easily make connectors the size I like, but they're not as robust as the original ones  :(

Brownouts and maybe frying the wall wart

:o I think it's a good reason to look for another solution...

Switching is no good but if you search you'll find converters. Just use a c64 PSU it's easier :)

The problem is that I don't have one here :-[ and I have some difficulties finding one among my friends...

I think there was talk of a PS2 interface but I haven't seen it :(

I also read something about it but I found no other docs... OK, I'll work on it sooner or later...

Enrico

372_IMG_2205_jpga5f882487f08eacd65149fb0

374_IMG_2209_jpgb8600144533b03333567968f

376_IMG_2210_jpg9231a8b289f181f58d5ed776