Sometimes you find the darndest things...

AndrewMartens

... when you're cleaning.

I knew that once-upon-a-time I had ordered four Core boards and two SID boards.  In order to make the OPL3 module, I still needed to order a couple of boards.  But today when I was organizing some drawers, I found:

- two OPL3 R1 PCBs

- a complete DINx4 R2 kit

- three panel-mount MIDI jacks

- three 24LC256 ICs

:D

Well, I was amazed by this, but on the plus side that means I have a less ordering to do in the future!  That's good news for my wallet!  I still have a spare MIDI jack, not to mention another three 24LC256es (and two 24LC512s, thanks Microchip  ;D !)

It may be time to start populating a few more Core boards, and one of those OPL3s.  Come to think of it, someone had setup the hot air rework station at my company this week.  Maybe I'll have to learn how to use it, and remove some YMF262s and YAC512s in the process...  ;)  Looking at my box of soundcard, I've got four of each.  But it just seems wrong to cannibalize that nice old TB Tropez ISA card, with its 68k processor, wavefront IC, and maxed out with a nice set of 30-pin SIMMs.

it just seems wrong to cannibalize that nice old TB Tropez ISA card, with its 68k processor, wavefront IC, and maxed out with a nice set of 30-pin SIMMs.

Yes it does! But I never know what to do in these situations.. I mean, can you use it any other way? Is there any purpose in leaving it as-is?

Honestly I probably won't use it for anything else.  I'm already putting my other "it was great at the time and seems bad to cannibalize now" ISA soundcard (AVM Apex) in my only remaining ISA machine.  It's just wrong, since the Tropez was probably a better card - but it only cost me $3 at a surplus computer parts store, whereas I think I spent about $250 on the Apex back in the late 1990s...

Most likely I'll end up stealing the parts off it to make another MIDIbox FM board in the long run.  But at least I'll feel bad about doing it  ;)  And besides, it's the only one that has the 14.38whatever MHz oscillator onboard!