lcd issue

havensole

hey all. hoping someone out there can help me with this. i have a seiko l4042 (led backlight version) adn when i plug it in, nothing is displayed and the regulator gets really hot, and the voltages all over go down to almost zero. i've checked the pinouts in the datasheet and it looks like i have everything soldered right. was thinking it was a ground issue. thanks for you help guys.

-have sole

ok, well issue is slightly resolved. found a forum somewhere that said not to use pin 15 and 16 for the backlight led's, but to use the pads on the right hand side of the pcb instead, and guess what, i got backlight. only issue now is that i'm getting nothing else. tried using my lcd module for my sid and it all works. guessing i must have something pinned wrong.

yeah, i found a posting from a guy who has the same lcd's and he says they need -2 volts for decent contrast. so on monday i get to go to the electronics store and get some diodes and zener diodes. hopefully that'll be the end of this thread. 1 other question to pose to the group. i was thinking about inverting the diplay (white on black vs. black on white). i've read a some site that say take the diplay apart and to use polorizing film on the glass. i would really prefer not to take it apart, so i was wondering if one could use an inverter chip (hex or binary) instead. thanks everyone.