Power supply question

durchgedreht

Hi,

I use a Roland 9V 500mA power supply from my Midi - Keyboard Edirol PSR30. I use the MidiIO128 for a midifizised basspedal. I would like to use it with Midi Phantom Power on the outer pins as i already do with my guitar midi board.

Therefore I did the following:

1) I added a Stereo switch that connects the two power supply cables from my CORE to either the phantom power pins or the normal power supply jack.

2) To indicate the Power on each input (midi and power supply), i built a LED+10k resistor after a recifier circuit (four diodes + 10uF Kondensator). This will let the LED light even with ACDC and nop mind what polarity.

What happens now is the following: I connect the Power supply and switch to it. The light will glow (the red HiGrade LED from the power supply circuit). When I connect my USB Midi Interface (Thomann 20EUR), the light will not glow any longer and the CORE will not work. When I wait about one minute before connecting the USB MIdi interface, the light will glow less for a moment, but then return and all works fine.

I cannot believe, the Modules (CORE + 1 x DIN_4) will consume so much power???

Also it seems the Roland Power supply is not DC as it states 12,5 V DC???

Second question: Can I use a 300 Ohm resitor to ground with LED in the 5V to ground pins of the D_IN4 Module to indicate the Power of the Modules, or what calue would you prefer???

It's parallel. I'm not as newbie in electrinics  ;D

But thanks for a guess. I'll start using the pedalboard from friday on and will try a better switched power supply with 1A. I donn't mind waiting for 30 seconds but I don't believe the capacitor will last as long for being charged. My best guess is up to the cheap midi interface. I will try with another soundcard. It's really strange that it'll leach so much energy. But I'm not in the Midi spec.