Sid Conditions

Vince

Hi ppl,

I've 2 SID 6581's and I'd like to know what the conditions from the chips are since I've heard things about broken osc's, filters etcetera.

Is there some benchmark application or some BASIC available to check the conditions?

Muchos Thankos!  8)

maybe someone can write a simple MIOS test application, that could be used to check chips?

Like a fixed series of sound tests to go through all the chip's filters etc etc.

Also we could post mp3 samples of working chips that people can compare their chips to.

Because I can imagine some people have no idea how a SID should sound or how a broken filter sounds at all.

like me :)

so this application could be very usefull - i believe it could even be embedded in MBSID V2

what do you think ??

I already proposed some kind of benchmarks to be defined, there wasn't much interest.

When testing SIDs for sale, I used a poly patch to test each oscillator works (three note chord, basically), and then changed the patch to one that used the filter and tweaked cutoff. So it was really testing by ear, if it sounded the same as the last SID I tested.

As far as filters being broken, from experience, when broken they can cause the SID audio output to mute when you turn on the filter, and sometimes stay muted even if you turn it off. There also might be loud popping when you change the filter mode.

I suppose a test app might be useful, but it's not that much more effort to just listen to a few patches. Maybe a recording of a filter sweep of one of the preset patches might be handy for comparison.

Seriously... You're gonna build the synth anyway I assume? Why wait to find confirmed working sids? Just build it, drop the chips in, and if they're no good, get new chips :)

Yes, that's correct. First really really really busy with school... After that I'm going to order some stuff at smashtv.

But I've tried some music maker apps, played some chords and changing filter cutoff. This works fine except the lovely noiz.

So, i think the chips are allright  ???