Midibox SID part list & matrix question

leelinn

Hello,

i'm starting to build a new MidiboxSID (v3).

My intention is to make a sort of midibox with C type control surface without matrix (this choice is to avoid boring me soldering 56 leds) but with all knobs/rotary encoders. This is what i want to know:

-what is the function of matrix in MidiBox SID?

-without matrix (but with all rotary encoders required by step C) how many  DINX4 & DOUTX4? (3+2)?

-On Voti webstore i found 24LC256 DIP and SMD bankstics: do they work without problem? or only one kind is good for MidiBox SID data storage?

that's all

tnx a lot for support

bye

lee

- the matrix is primarily used to select which modulators (envelopes/LFOs) modulate which parameters (pitch/pulsewidth/filter cutoff), but also can be used as a meter (shows bars representing current depth of modulators). It is a lot more ergonomic to use than the menus, and if you have the space on your panel then you should consider putting it in.

- the matrix uses two "DOUT"s, so you still need 2 DOUTx4 modules, with two "DOUT"s unused. It needs 8+7 DIN input pins, you still need 7 DINs, so you need 2 DINx4 modules.

- try to get the 24LC512, they are about the same price and store twice as much. DIP and SMD just describe the package, one is dual inline (through-hole) the other is surface mount, will be very small and much harder to solder.

- the matrix is primarily used to select which modulators (envelopes/LFOs) modulate which parameters (pitch/pulsewidth/filter cutoff), but also can be used as a meter (shows bars representing current depth of modulators). It is a lot more ergonomic to use than the menus, and if you have the space on your panel then you should consider putting it in.

- the matrix uses two "DOUT"s, so you still need 2 DOUTx4 modules, with two "DOUT"s unused. It needs 8+7 DIN input pins, you still need 7 DINs, so you need 2 DINx4 modules.

- try to get the 24LC512, they are about the same price and store twice as much. DIP and SMD just describe the package, one is dual inline (through-hole) the other is surface mount, will be very small and much harder to solder.

Hello,

tnx a lot for reply.

If i remember right, for midibox step_C i need 3 DINx4. Removing the Matrix section, i need only 2 DINx4 ( and no DOUTx4), is it right?

tnx a lot for support

lee

If i remember right, for midibox step_C i need 3 DINx4. Removing the Matrix section, i need only 2 DINx4 ( and no DOUTx4), is it right?

Don't just "remember", go and look at the connection diagrams...

You still need DOUTs for the LEDs that are not in the matrix.