assigning secondary functions to other knobs

Dunewar

I don't know if my topic makes any sense, but what i'm trying to figure out is this :

When emulating a known device (because pro-tools doesn't accept generic controllers), is it possible to split out functions that are originally done by one button/knob ? For example, one pot does two functions depending on the shift button, is it possible to program two pots to have that seperate function so I don't have to use a shift function?

My idea is the following : let's say that a pot controls SEND when shift is pressed, and PAN when shift is not pressed, and I want to spread that out over two pots. Then what would happen in the software when I move the SEND pot is this :

- send a SHIFT-on message to the host

- send the CC numbers and values

- send a SHIFT-off message to the host

The PAN-pot would then have the same CC number, but without the additional SHIFT message.

Is this correct? Could this work, or will this generate too much midi traffic?

Sorry if this seems very newby, but i'm trying to figure it all out before embarking on my first project, and i'm completely new at this. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

And for the record : TK, your source code for the C examples is unbelievably clear and well-written, those are exemplary pieces of C-coding.

I don't know protools, but there is no SHIFT-message in MIDI. And "shifted" knobs are normally HUI (Human User Interface) Features, that means it makes no difference if there are two functions on an Encoder with button-feature or two Encoders, cause in both cases two different Controlls will be sent by midi. For a box you're programming by yourself, the last one (two Encoders) is a lot easier to code anyway.

If the second Encoder needs additional ON/OFF messages before/after, you might easily implement that. I see no problem here.

And turning two knobs at once shouldn't be no traffic problem either; Think about a Midi Song providing data on 16 channels...

Best regards,

Michael

Hey,

I'm aware of the fact that there is no shift function in midi, it's just another CC that tells the software how to interpret the other messages.

I'm glad to hear that no problem comes from inserting multiple functions per knob/button. I will try that out. I want to make a controller that has one knob per function that I want. So I might leave out functions that the emulated machine has but that I don't need, and on the other hand implement two buttons where the emulated machine has one button + shift button.

So it's really that simple, send the CC for shift-on, the CC for the button in question, and the CC for shift-off.... Thnx man