can this be done? writing my own protocol?

Dunewar

I've been looking into using the Jlcooper CS10 protocol, or the motormix protocol, to use a midibox with pro-tools. I notice that you get a DLL with the jlcooper protocol in there to allow pro-tools to use it (as with the other protocols).

Now my question is this : what is in those dll's? Is it possible to in some way re-engineer these? Or to make your own dll's that pro-tools can read?

Or am I dreaming out loud?

I don't think, you need to hack any dll's ;)

Even if the manufacturer of your particular controller hasn't set up a Pro Tools template' date=' you can do it yourself. All you need is a hardware controller that lets you edit the MIDI messages that each of its knobs, sliders and buttons emits, and a list of what those messages should be.[/quote']

regards,

Michael

ps: I'm not using ProTools. This is just what showed up first at google, 'cause I was wondering if one has to write .dll's to get ProTools working with an ordinary MIDI-Controller...

I know that this it can be done by adjusting the messages it sends out to conform to the JLcooper CS-10 control surface (that's what digidesign themselves suggest), but not everything is mappable that way, it is pretty limited. I could also use the motormix protocol that TK has elegantly coded allready.

But I was being curious if I can take it one step further, and implement my own control surface into pro-tools without limitations and without conforming to someone elses protocol (like you can in Cubase with the generic controller).