monome like button project thingy (n00b inside)

amkrisis

Hi there

First off, i'm gonna start with saying i have absolutely NO knowledge of MIDI, or programming or electronics for that matter...

But i was wondering.

I'm interesting in making a simple button midi device. Much like the monome, but without all the fancy features.

My goal is to create a device to trigger my recordings in ableton live. So i guess it's just an on/off (play/stop) thing right?

Can this be done as a first project by a total newbe like me? Are their any guides for a specific project like this?

I'm dreaming out loud here ... but buttons that light up would be awsome.

I hope you guys can guide me into a right direction here...

Thanks in advance!

Benny

i think that most midibox projects can be done by someone without any electronics experience.  i'm finishing up on my sequencer and didn't have any experience before i started it.  it's probably a safe bet that if you started your project, you'd quickly want to add more than just transport features once you have an understanding of things.  you can have knobs to change eq or whatever else in ableton live, buttons to browse clips, etc.  the project can be as small or as big as you want (ok, with certain limitations).

illuminated buttons are also very possible.  i'm using the TL1240 made by e-switch and they look very nice and classy.  there are many other models of illuminated buttons out there as well.  this is the kind of thing that often takes a lot of time to search for if you want the right switch.  search the forum for this as well.

unfortunately all i've built is a sequencer, so i don't know which modules you'll need for your particular project, but at least a core module, dout (digital out) module, and din (digital in) module will be necessary.  the core is the brains of the beast, the dout module is what lets you use things like illuminated buttons and other led indicators, and the din modules accept button presses.  also, to add any kind of knob control using potentiometers you would need an AIN (analog in) module.  all of these modules are available from smashtv in easy to assemble kits that include all the parts and preprogrammed microcontroller.

here are my recommendations to you:

1. use smashtv's kits if you're new.  it will save you a major headache.  in fact, all the experience in the world won't get me to NOT buy his kits.  they're just very good and easy to assemble.

2. figure out exactly what kind of control you want to have for ableton live.  you can't know what kind of kits to order until that is done.  think bigger than just play/pause.  you can do quite a bit with just a little more work.  there's no "guide" available, but there are many people on the forum who have made live controllers.  search the forum to see what others have come up with.

3. just jump into it.  dont' sit around and wonder if you're capable of doing this kind of project.  just jump in and start doing it.  it's not one big project, it's many small projects that come together for a bigger cause.  everything can be learned in small steps and this midibox community is very good about helping others out.  don't expect to be done overnight.  i've been working on my sequencer for quite a while.

4. there is a ridiculous amount of information buried in this forum and on the wiki.  it's all searchable, so use it to your advantage.

good luck!

• 5 months later...