16x16/24x24/32x32 MIDI Router

stryd_one

Heya guys,

Well I won't start my rant on the pitiful state of computer MIDI interfaces these days, but I'll get straight to the point:

I wanna big MIDI router.

From the IIC_MIDI page, TK has pointed out that four of these modules is the maximum that will allow solid timing, but I was thinking that perhaps we could use a multi-core design using the CAN bus to transfer MIDI between the cores to allow greater than 4x4 routings without the limitation of the IIC bus... I'm not sure if that's really going to work out though, as I haven't seen MBLink working yet so I know very little about the operation of CAN in reality.

Any thoughts?

hi stryd

i was just thinking, is there any reason why we couldn't use the DIN and DOUT modules for midi messages?

obvisously we would need to use a chip with more memory than the 18f452 so that we can have the buffer(s) to avoid dropping messages.  thats a potential of a 129x129 router on one core! ;D  of course there would be good reason why we couldn't go that big.

Well we''d have to make it service the SR's a lot quicker, and it would only have enough ram for a few more ports so maybe they could just run from the PIC pins... although I'm not sure the PIC could handle bitbanging that many ports at once... It would be nice though ;)

To be honest though I don't think I'd want to take on something requiring that much work (software UART) ... Just because I don't have enough time. I would buy this router if one existed ;)

To be honest though I don't think I'd want to take on something requiring that much work (software UART) ... Just because I don't have enough time. I would buy this router if one existed

i agree, i was just speculating pie in the sky stuff.  making a router for 16x16 would exceed my current needs anyway.