A new interesting project with coded vinyl

cimo

hallo

Alogic, one of our mates from the Spanish forum, is developing a quite interesting project.It goes like that:

He s pressed an encoder s code into a vinyl.

He s created a riia preamp and attached the output to a PIC16f877, the PIC will read the code, translate it to MTC code and send it out as MIDI.

We are in pre beta so don t expect anything soon, but I am translating the comments in the Assembly he s written, from Spanish to English, and I ll post it asap together with the Eagle .brd files and the files to run a simulation in Isis.

I am just somebody who s given some ideas to Alogic, he s done it all; my main role here will be translating the whole thing to English so that we can join force with those who are interested.

Alogic will use this machine to control sequencers and synths so he s happy with MTC but i d like to get SMPTE to work to use it for DJing.Maybe other time codes can be even better, for example using Stanton or Serato s codes would avoid the need to press any special vinyl.I have written to the xwax mailing list to see if we can get the code, but hey wasn t Stanton Scratch an open format now? how do we get the code?

This is not a MIOS based project, .... for the moment

Simone

Many Thnx Cimo Im very interested in this project since allogic putted some examples in spanish forum... -> http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=7393.0  is it that right ?

My new Idea for Traktorizer are self-spinning Jogwheels, they should  bring the code like a Timecode-Vinyl....but for now its only theory till I finished my final Version ;)

Big thnx for translation, Im looking forward on it :)

Best Regards

Many Thnx Cimo Im very interested in this project since allogic putted some examples in spanish forum... -> http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=7393.0  is it that right ?

yes it is but as you can see the project has taken a completely different direction

My new Idea for Traktorizer are self-spinning Jogwheels, they should  bring the code like a Timecode-Vinyl....but for now its only theory till I finished my final Version Wink

why using a system that is not found in turntables or cd players either? (answering "because it suits my wish and needs" is fair enough)

some more info from the guys at xwax:

Serato:

- Uses a 20 bit LFSR (every 20 bits is unique)

- See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_feedback_shift_register

- There's no such thing as "frames" - Any consecutive 20 bits can be

used to determine the playback position instantly. As such, the latency

here is virtually unnoticeable.

- The left and right channels are encoded with the same timecode (can be

used for error checking), but they're shifting 90 degrees out of phase.

This allows you to determine the direction of the motion extremely

quickly.

If anybody has a clearer idea of what the hell they re talking about ....