The MB6582 Panel Group Buy : FINALLY!!

Altitude

I'm also a bit annoyed. I haven't check it exactly like you Wilba but i noticed the alignment faults. But mine are different that yours, so the whole batch must have different faults and it think that many panels are different to others. The fault i recogniced first was that the word SUSTAIN of the envelope section is much closer to the encoder hole than the other words. I also can't explain it to me how this can happen. So what can we do??? The panels are sent all over the world and sending back will cost every a lot of money. I think we have to talk to the fab to refund the money or a part of the money. And those who don't care about the faults use their panel and the others can arrange a new bulk order. That's my opinion, but i don't know how you all think about it.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take a look at the labels for the bottom row of knobs. How can the words CUTOFF, RESONANCE, DEPTH, ATTACK, DECAY, SUSTAIN, RELEASE which are supposed to be vertically aligned (see red text) have different vertical alignments?

This last alignment fault is the most annoying, because the labels are now too close to the knobs and shows up clearly when you put the knob on the hole, there is no longer a constant gap between the bottom of the knob and the label underneath it.

When I place knobs on my panel, it's easy to see that the distance of the text from the knob is not consistent.  Two of the knobs actually overlay some of the text, though you can still read the text.

I've also got some of the same quality issues -- extra blobs of white that I could scrape off with an extacto knife, missing white that I might be able to fill in with a small brush.

I've even got problems in some of the holes on the panel -- there are little bits of metal not cut away that make the holes not perfectly cut out.  That problem would be easy to deal with, but I was surprised at it.

I could live with the panel as is, it's far better than I could have made by hand, but I'd prefer to buy a better Front Panel Express panel, even at a one-off price.  At this point I find it difficult to believe that the current supplier cares enough to do a good silk screening job on this panel, so I'm personally ready to give up on them.  Personally, I'm not that worried about losing the small amount of money that these panels cost me, but I do want to get good panels even if I have to buy them elsewhere.  I also feel that the little seen back panel is just fine for use, so I'll probably use it as is and just look elsewhere for a decent front panel.

I took a closer look at mine and see the same sort of bad gaps in the envelope section.  On one of the front panels I got, there was a nasty smear at the bottom left.  That one I've already packed up to have redone.  I'm wondering if I should have the other redone too.

badsilk.jpg

Can someone define what a burr is? A couple of the holes pn my panal have small scratched round them through the anodised layer and into the aluminium. The labels on the envelope section are dodgy too, they are all too close to the knob holes apart from the release label. How can they move 4 labels on that section and not the 5th one, it looks like they've done some serious re-alligningI wonder if they've done this because the text goes very close to the edge of the panal... It's still not on though, all changes should be approved by the customer, especially when they made such a mss the first time. The most annoying thing is that the ATTACK/CURVE ATT label on mine has a blackblob through the text.

I can touch up the scratches with a marker and maybe paint the letters on the blob, the misplaced labels are going to be a problem though. I think the panal will be still usable and we did get a good price on it so I can cope with it. SOmething should be said to the panal manufacturer though, maybe Altitude could send an email saying that he's sent htese all iver the world and is recieving multiple complaints that the panals aren't up to spec or what was ordered and hope for a refund (/partial refund). At the very least the company should fund the postage of these panals to be returned and re-printed with the correct laballing.

G

I looked in a lexicon because i'm from germany and my english is not the best and searched a word for "Grat" and that means that there is an overlaying rest of aluminium over the holes. The lexicon said "burr". I have already glued the screws to my panel and so i don't want to send it back. And i don't think that, if the company gets a new chance, the panels would be better. especially because of the burrs, here the company has to mill a new panel. So i think trying to get some money refunded is a good option. i paid 10$ for postage. and if the company would fund the postage, i prefer to get the money.

When we were talking about how to have panels made, one thought was to go with the current manufacturer for the metal work and someone else for a lexan plastic overlay...

Ouch!

Just used Maverick's instant quote for the job: $35.50 each for 80 pieces.

So overall, not cheaper than FPE engraved panels, but a swish look.

Comments anyone?

Could we use lexan overlays to rescue the current frontpanels?  People satisfied with the current silk screening could stick with it, and everyone else could go for a bulk buy of lexan overlays.

Whatever the group does at this point, given the current misalignment of the metalwork and silkscreening, I'd think getting a sample made for Wilba to approve first before doing/redoing the rest would be smart.  I'm certainly willing to pay some extra to get a sample made for Wilba.

I got two panels.

One of this looks much better, I scanned both with high resolution.

I would never get panels like this for 10$ each in germany.

I will use it and i dont want some money back because it doese not matter if I paid 5$ or 10$ ...

But someone should file a complaint, maybe with a link to these thread.

http://www.playerxt.de/bad.JPG

http://www.playerxt.de/acceptable.JPG

I have been away on some family matters so I have not had a chance to get with salem about this after my discussion with wilba about this last week but I have sent in all the evidence and should hear back from him today. Any bad panels like Davo's where the screen is clearly messed up bad will be redone. We will see what salem has to say about the rest.  I have no idea why the screener would take a creative license to wilba's artwork and it should not be something a paying customer should worry about.

I was fortunate and got acceptable panels. However, just a heads up for others with these panels. I found on my set that the LED holes were a bit out of spec, but only on the matrix section. I thought at first my LEDs might have been a bit  ;D whacky  ;D, and tested as such. It was the holes. I would HIGHLY recommend testing the holes BEFORE you get set up. Otherwise you will find yourself with uneven LED's in the matrix. I found that with a small round metal file, things cleaned up nicely.

Best of luck  :)

I was fortunate and got acceptable panels. However, just a heads up for others with these panels. I found on my set that the LED holes were a bit out of spec, but only on the matrix section. I thought at first my LEDs might have been a bit  ;D whacky  ;D, and tested as such. It was the holes. I would HIGHLY recommend testing the holes BEFORE you get set up. Otherwise you will find yourself with uneven LED's in the matrix. I found that with a small round metal file, things cleaned up nicely.

Best of luck  :)

Im not sure what you mean by that. I hope you are not trying to get the led to stop on its lip, you should be lining up the LED tops to the pushbutton tops

I received mine today.

The first thing I 'd like to say is thanks a lot to Altitude. This is certainly the best parcel I ever received.

The second thing is the quality of the panel isn't optimal : some default in the silk-screen and some scratch on the panel. Who's the manufacturer ?

But I definitly don't want to return it and wait 2 months again. Maybe part refunds ?

Cheers

Got mine at the weekend. All LED's fit fine, panel looks good to me - I know I couldn't do anything as good, and the savings over Schaeffer, my only other realistic option, were amazing. I'm quite happy. Detail could be slightly better, I agree, but I'm happy with what I got for the price.

Thanks Altitude for all your hard work.

Best wishes