Request for Comments: change of Ensemble selection in MBSID V2

TK.

Currently the ensemble has to be selected within the ENS menu by moving the datawheel. Normaly the datawheel is used to scroll the menu items

The special behaviour of the dataweel within the ENS menu leads to problem, that the 5th menu item of the ENS menu (Save) cannot be selected when only a 2x16 display is connected to MBSID V2.

In addition, it doesn't allow me to add more menu items to the ENS menu in future, since this would lead to the same problem for 2x20 displays

My proposal is to change the ensemble selection, so that it can be done within the main menu (where ensemble number, patch name, etc... is visible).

Within the main screen, the datawheel changes the patch; by pressing SHIFT button in addition patches will be incremented faster. The ensemble could be changed by pressing the MENU button while moving the datawheel.

Since this isn't really an intuitive usage, I would like to know, if somebody has an alternative idea.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I can think of 2 alternatives:

- Hold Select #1 while turning the knob. This seems logical because it's also the button that activates the menu (but in that case it's not being held). But it might be confusing.

- Use the menu-button to change the rotationspeed and use the shift button to change Ensembles while turning the knob.

I think I personally prefer the second one.... It seems to be a bit more logical that the button below the rotary encoder affects the behaviour of this encoder. The shift is also closer to the Ens item in the display...

Greetings,

Rutger

Thanks for the hints!

- Hold Select #1 while turning the knob. This seems logical because it's also the button that activates the menu (but in that case it's not being held). But it might be confusing.

and it could add even more confusion if the quality of the select button is so bad, that it double-triggers sometimes (I know that some people are using very cheap miniature buttons with limited debouncing)

- Use the menu-button to change the rotationspeed and use the shift button to change Ensembles while turning the knob.

I like this option, but unfortunately it makes the SHIFT button handling inconsistent, as the SHIFT function speeds up all encoders, not only the datawheel :-/

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The special behaviour of the dataweel within the ENS menu leads to problem, that the 5th menu item of the ENS menu (Save) cannot be selected when only a 2x16 display is connected to MBSID V2.

In addition, it doesn't allow me to add more menu items to the ENS menu in future, since this would lead to the same problem for 2x20 displays

Yes, this is a problem, because I'd like an Ensemble Init function but there's nowhere to put it!

My proposal is to change the ensemble selection, so that it can be done within the main menu (where ensemble number, patch name, etc... is visible).

Great idea.

Within the main screen, the datawheel changes the patch; by pressing SHIFT button in addition patches will be incremented faster. The ensemble could be changed by pressing the MENU button while moving the datawheel.

That sounds good, because the Menu button here has no other function.

Since this isn't really an intuitive usage, I would like to know, if somebody has an alternative idea.

As an additional method (or alternative?) the PageUp/PageDown buttons could change the ensemble... especially in the Ensemble menu.

As an additional method (or alternative?) the PageUp/PageDown buttons could change the ensemble... especially in the Ensemble menu.

YES!

I was just pondering this very same question about easier Ensemble patch changes over the weekend.  My initial intuition was to use the SHIFT and DATAKNOB, but I can understand how that SHIFT accelerator function is probably coded in to operate on all knobs globally.  I'm all for the PAGE_UP/PAGE_DN buttons.

Using PAGE_UP/DOWN buttons in addition is a great idea - it ensures, that users will find an uncomplicated way w/o searching for details in the documentation.

Consequently, PAGE_UP/DOWN should select the patch within the "normal" patch menu.

Ensemble Init: could be put into the SHIFT page when you are in one of the ENS menu pages as replacement for "Patch Init"

Best Regards, Thorsten.

IMHO: Ensembles should only be changed by up/down buttons....   (I deadjust continuous the ensemble because of using menu encoder for other purpose!..)

Please read in my first posting, how the encoder handling should be changed

Having the alternative to change ensembles with encoder is very useful, I don't know, why you don't like it (however, it doesn't matter - so long you don't press the menu button within the main page, you won't notice it anyhow ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.