Live? MidiBox

supraanimo

I am designing a midibox 64 for live use, :D does anyone have any good front panel designs for that kind of use???. (or any ideas)

--------------------------------------------------------------

I can't wait to get my pay check so I can gett the components. ;D

Guest Shaggy2Dope

Live use ... as in DJ'ing ? I would say design it similar to a mixer then, that's what i'm going to create mine for (except the live part ... hehe)

Ie Crossfader, master volumes, gain, treble, mid, bass, kill buttons etc ...

Guest Shaggy2Dope

mmmkay ... so you'll want enough buttons for all the samples you wanna play ...

not sure what you will want the faders for though ... can you give a little more detail about the program ? or maybe a website about the program ? would make it easier to give a recommendation on what you should have (although totally negotiable for your own use)

Guest Shaggy2Dope

RRR ... didn't really help  :-/

Analyse the program, look at the things you want your panel to do on the program, if the program uses a button to trigger, use a button on your panel, if it has a knob, use a knob, fader ... you get the picture I think ...

I'm not really sure if I have helped, or confused you more hehe ...

i'll post a picture in a couple of hours of my midibox design, and a picture of the program i'm hopefully going to make it for, so you can see how I want my box design, and maybe apply the same process to your design.

Why don't you have a look at Ableton Live (v2...)

This program rocks when it comes to live usage. It's made for live usage. Almost all functions can be used in realtime, even in-sync sample loading during performance, realtime timestretch and lots more! Lots of assignable functions for midi controlling!!

And as i remeber, someone is already building an interface for ableton Live, so you can ask construction/design/layout question to the appropiate person.

Xcen I downloaded psycle I'm going to try it with my current midi setup, but I'm still kind of a BUZZ fan.

Nomical I looked at ableton, it's cool, but i can't afford it just yet :( . I'll still look at the layouts for it maybe i can get some ideas

Guest Xcen

No prob there supra... I was using scream-style trackers for a while when I grew tired of modplug... I stumbled accross Buzz but felt it was a little complicated for no "good" reason... then I found psycle and thought it was really great so I'm spreading the word :)

Guest Xcen

Not sure I understand your question as my primary language is french...

if you're asking wether or not it is built in the core of the program, then the answer is yes...

Guest Shaggy2Dope

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, anyway, my midibox design will be based on mixvibes pro, an mp3

mixing program, so my box will be similar to a DJ mixer...

I couldn't be bothered putting numbers for both channels, but you get the general idea I about designing your box to suit the needs of the application I hope ...

Sorry for the size of the picture ...  :-/

design.jpg

And those wanting a picture of my box design without those numbers ...  ;D

riddlebox.jpg

With regards to LIVE2.

I use this program live. Only I trigger it with my drum kit.

I will be building a control surface for it.

You can download the demo of this product....that's what sold me on it.

Steinberg now have the rights to this program or something and they sell a cut down version for around $30. This has an upgrade path to version 2.

Just remember that with a bankstick you can change what your buttons do in a flash. This way you can keep your trigger button number to a reasonable level and still have 16 banks of trigger values. ie  12 buttons x 16 bankstick positions...............you do the math ;)

Later

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IainDuncan

Just thought I'd mention a couple of other choices folks here might want to look into. You can build your own live rig using a number of open source software synthesis/dsp/midi languages. Take a look at Pure Data ( PD ) and Csound. Both are 100% open source, one is graphical, the other command line. You'll have to put a lot more work into customizing your software than with something off the shelf like Live, but on the other hand it's easy to custom tailor exactly how you want it to respond to midi input, making it perfect for midibox related applications.

Iain

Hey Iain,

Wow! that sounds really cool! but kinda scary at the same time!

Hey Ian,

How are you interfacing the triggers to midi? some kind of CV to midi converter?

(I thought about building edrum once, but bought a yamaha dd55 instead... I still haven't got 'round to pulling the PCB out, and mounting it in it's own rack case, cos banging the crap out of the pads is surely going to give the PCB grief!!) One thing I hate about yamaha gear is that they dress up consumer gear to make you think it is a semi-pro unit, when it isn't  The kick pedal on mine really sucks!

BTW, if you need to find a source of triggers, Jaycar (Auckland) have transducers, in a white case, (its meant to be a buzzer) which you can pull apart, though I haven't tested this for triggering yet. Here in Australia, they are AUS$3 ea, so I don't know how much you guys will pay.

By the way, sorry supraanimo for getting off topic here!

edit... Hey Dan, can I join your club now? ****   ;)  ;D