CAUTION about pots and Motorfaders

Steven_C

Hey everyone,

I think I have found out why my LC isn't working very well.... I have been bending out the pins on the Panasonic motorfaders, to make them easier to solder.

Now I have discovered that I am getting errors due to poor connection on the riveted joints on the pot connections.... this is probably caused by the mechanical stress, and stretching of the riveted joint, by bending the pins

....so don't do it, and you will stay happier than I am right now.... 8mf....stuffed! bugger!  :'(

on my midibox 64, I got heaps of jitter, and this was probably caused by the same thing!! (total of 73 stuffed pots!!)

lucky I have 8 spare motorfaders (I bought 16 off basta73)

oh well....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest psytron

just a thought

with the pots cant you just solder the wires to the rivet joint instead of the lugs. i dont know if yours are the same but all pots i have seen have a --- 0 . am i right in thinking you bent the --- part and they cracked broke at the "0" so just solder at the 0.

i dunno if this helps with your mf tho ...

good luck

yeah, I soldered to the rivet, and I think the heat may have done something... or maybe flux got between the contacts when the rivet expanded from heat, and stayed there when it cooled. Thanks for the suggestions!! I might take another look, maybe if I carefully sqeeze the rivet, I can tighten up the connection again!  :)

but I think I will take a break from tinkering for a while, I'm happy now that my 'box is working well  ;D

Hey Pilo,

thanks for taking an interest!! I'll email you a pic. (not till tomorrow, cos I'm going to bed now!)

bye from Steve

a small tip... don't forget to make a hole for the flip LED, and you can select a few different pages in the LC application, which have different pitches (distances) between the sliders, the encoders will be a bit close (but it will still fit) together on mine, cos I used the LCD layout with small spaces between each channel.

I also notice my 'box is a little erratic when it shares a mains outlet with another (noisy) plugpack.