buttons to directly select patches (rather than sending programmchange)

jrp

Hi. Just wondering if there is any function like this "hidden" in the code.

Have a set of buttons on your midibox to directly select a saved patch/setup.

Of course the obvious way would be to build another midibox (128?) and programm it to send programmchanges when the desired button is pressed. But maybe that same function could be had much easier with an din pin and a little line of code?

This could be useful for different things, eg ommit the display on a mbcv: store all the setups you will need and select them with a handful of buttons directly.

Or have direct access to different sequencer patches while playing live. etc.

thanks!

Greetings.

I'm not sure I understand the question, so we'll see how much of an answer I can manage.

You want to "Directly select a saved patch/setup"

What is the patch/setup saved on?

If you are recalling a patch on any MIDI device, then you will need to use the MIDI commands that that device will recognize.

This is usually by "selecting" a pre-saved patch, sometimes with a Program change command, or by sending the entire patch,usually with a System Exclusive command. The MIDIBox can easily do the first, and can support the second as long as memory/storage is sufficient.

OR you want to select a "saved patch/setup" on the MIDIBox itself. Sure! Assuming you have saved it somewhere, and you know where to reload it to. There are MANY different things you can build with a MIDIBox, so what to save/load is a rather loose definition.

MIDIBoxes have been used to make synthesizers,routers, control surfaces,mixing boards, and a lot of other cool stuff.

If you want a better answer, you'll need to be more specific.

Hi jrp,

here's a link to the Wiki page of my MBFM phone: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/apparat_20_construction_blog (I know, after two years of break I should maybe continue that one soon... ;) - Anyway, there you'll find an example of how to internally simulate received patch change events. The code is a bit different because the program chages are triggered by a selfmade little 3x4 matrix, but you could also hack this function into some unused DIN buttons' code.

S

THanks. I´ll read and try to learn. Maybe that mirracle of someone turning me into a programmer will sooner or later happen... why not now?

And yes, that´s the idea: select programs stored within a midibox, not by midi but by dedicated din pins.