2X20 LCD - I'm a (wait for it... here it comes...) newbie

otto

So I've had a C64 for a while and decided to "bite the bullet" and make an order through smash. I need to pick up a 2X20 LCD but I'm not completely sure what kind. Will this work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fantastic-20x2-Character-OLED-LCD-Module-Display_W0QQitemZ230252261536QQihZ013QQcategoryZ26206QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anywhere else I should look for cheaper prices or better quality for the price?

okay first have a look at the LCD Module page on ucapps.de, its on the left hand side in the menu:

http://ucapps.de/

From that page youll see that the LCD needs to be "HD61202 compatible".

Thats the most important thing.

Besides that youre in luck, buhler has recently just built a midibox sid with that exact LCD you linked,

he bought it from the same seller.

Look at his thread here on instructions on how to wire it, its a bit different to most LCDs:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,11156.0.html

And welcome!

From that page youll see that the LCD needs to be "HD61202 compatible".

He meant HD44780.

PLEDs look great, but they can fail unexpectedly and have a much shorter lifespan than LCDs, which is why PLEDs (at least these character displays) were discontinued.

They are also very noisy when used in an MB-SID. I'm talking high-pitched digital noise that apparently is getting into the ground, and from my experience, SIDs are fantastic at amplifying a noisy ground... you won't really know if it bothers you until you try one, as it might also vary between PLED make/model. Just be warned.

He meant HD44780.

PLEDs look great, but they can fail unexpectedly and have a much shorter lifespan than LCDs, which is why PLEDs (at least these character displays) were discontinued.

They are also very noisy when used in an MB-SID. I'm talking high-pitched digital noise that apparently is getting into the ground, and from my experience, SIDs are fantastic at amplifying a noisy ground... you won't really know if it bothers you until you try one, as it might also vary between PLED make/model. Just be warned.

So I want an LCD compatible with HD44780 right? Just make it basic and easy for me, I don't care about my options I'm already confused as it is and may have messed up my smash order in an attempt to correct is by having him do code that worked with HD61202.

You know what would be nice is either a very simple guide for newbie idiots like myself or a complete kit from smash. I’ve really been meaning to attempt this project for over a year now but there is just so much information and so many options I’ve already spent hours on the site and have probably read everything related to the sid and still feel lost. I don’t want options, I just want to know the basics I need to make the simple LCD + 9 button sid.

I’ve ordered the core kit, the sid kit, a 64k bankstick, and rotary from smash. Now, I think I need the DIN kit as well and didn’t order that but I’m not even completely sure I need it. On the pic header I did all 0’s but yesterday I asked to have that changed due to the info above and now it looks like I need to request that it is done with all 0’s again… Anything I’ve missed as I’m obviously already off to a precarious start?

One DIN kit is required to use the rotary encoder and switches.

You're off to a good start. You ordered almost everything you need.

You're right, request all 0's for the ID, and practically any character LCD you find on eBay will be HD44780 compatible.  You could even consider a 2x40 LCD for a "simple" MB-SID (i.e. without all the knobs) and then display 10 menu items at once (with 10 buttons underneath the LCD). Or stick with your plan of a 2x20 LCD and 5 buttons underneath.

Taking it slow is a good thing. Get the Core kit done, get the LCD working, even get the DIN kit connected and upload the MB-SID application and connect the buttons, even before you get the SID module going perhaps... get familiar with uploading MIOS applications and proving your Core works fine... then tackle the connection to the SID module, the extra power supply requirements, etc. You might gain confidence this way and some satisfaction seeing text on the LCD, and some interaction with buttons and encoder... and start planning your control surface.

practically any character LCD you find on eBay will be HD44780 compatible.

On the HD44780 wiki page you will find a search string I made, which searches ebay for all HD44780 LCD's and all of the known compatible chipsets too.

Edit: oh, and the PLEDs seem to not like to work in 4-bit mode. You shoud be aware of this and run a search to find Wilba's workaround for this problem (a custom driver)

You know what would be nice is either a very simple guide for newbie idiots like myself

Im thinking of doing one soon, ive been on this forum months and still havent the optimised circuit finished.

I keep soldering "dull" joints and its pissing me off, im using stripboard instead of matrix which isnt a good idea,

and im finding it hard to solder wires between 2 joints, without melting the insulation.

Bought a new iron recently and am still getting these dull joints,

bah, if i ever get passed this stage of uber-idiocy ill try and write up a really simple step by step guides for even the biggest newbs like myself.

Its totally pissing me off.