Will these LEDs be suitable?

unrise_lyrical

Planning out the cosmetics of a Midibox64 and Im looking at having a design in the back of it that will glow with UV leds. will the following be suitable to be powered off the voltage inside a midibox? (I dont understand all the nitty gritty yet :) )

Specifications:

Material: InGaN 

Emitting Colour: purple/violet

Lens Type: water clear 

Reverse Voltage: 5.0 V [ 1/4W,470ohm resistor is needed ]

DC Forward Voltage: Typical: 1.9  V  Max: 2.3 V

Wave Length: 625-635nm 

Luminous Intensity MCD: Typ: 3,000 mcd 

DC Forward Current: 20mA

Viewing Angle: 12±5degree

Lead Soldering Temp: 260oC for 5 seconds

Intensely Bright

Im planning to run maybe 50 of them around a piece of frosted perspex and have them shining in from the edges, with a second set only on when a midi signal is detected going  in/out. If that doesnt exactly make sense I can explain it a bit more clearly but basically the main thing I want to know is will these work in a midibox? :)

is it possible to run some form of electrical component in series with their power to limit their supply so they glow less brightly and chew up less power? Is that what perhaps a resistor may do? Id rather have alot of them glowing dull-ly instead of a few glowing brightly..then I can get a more uniform wash of light thru the perspex

Depending on the size of your design you will most likely not need nearly as many as 50, particularly with light as noticeable as purple/UV and the 20mA LEDs you specified (water clear, ultra brights). LEDs are cheap, and while you may not need to be sparing with the 200 pack you've purchased you certainly don't need to utilize any more than is necessary.

Provided that you use all 50 LEDs without any resistive elements you'll be drawing 1A from your power supply, which is more than an entire Midibox in many cases. Using resistors you will be able to lower the current draw and thus the brightness of the LEDs, although the wiring of 50 LEDs and resistors is nothing to scoff at, particularly if you are trying to outline a display rather than simply grid them in a uniform pattern.

I would experiment with a few LEDs at first and see how you like the appearance. Assuming your design isn't enormous (I'm thinking around  6" x 6" as a guess? Using 5mm LEDs?) you could probably use 12 LEDs with resistors and achieve basically the same result as 50, only with less wiring nightmares, less current draw, and less of a headache when it blasts on and illuminates your neighborhood through the window. Positioning the LEDs to accomodate their relatively small viewing angles and providing them with appropriate power and space should be plenty to illuminate your display uniformly without any dead patches. Just to give you an idea of how bright these LEDs can get, I have a flashlight with six 20mA 5mm white LEDs in it, and it can light up an entire room from 20 feet away.

Purple?

This Wavelength was Yellow to bright red! Not Purple! Purple was ca. 380 - 420 nm!

that's true,..

...and don't change UV with purple! if you want to use uv-reactive-paint, you've gut to use only UV-LEDs, 'cause if you use purple LEDs the purple light will be so bright, and the UV-part will be so small, so you won't recognize your UV-reactive paint glow.

And, btw, be sure not to use LEDs with wavelengths below 300nm! those rays are called UV-B radiation and are dangerous for your skin and eyes! Especially when the ambient light is dimmed and your pupils will open to let more light on your retina, there will also be more of the dangerous UV-B light damaging your eyes.

It's the same thing with wearing cheap sunglasses with no UV-protection on a sunny day.

"Oh my god, you're so tanned! Have you been to a solarium?"

"No, I had a gig with my midibox yesterday evening"

;)