Which PIC to order with core? (brand - noob)

Benjamin

Welcome aboard Benjamin :)

It kinda depends what you're building? If you check out the pages on ucapps.de you'll find your answer. It's strongly recommended to search around the ucapps.de and wiki pages  and the forum before you post, because there's lots of information like this to be found.

Good luck!

Yeh but now I'm curious what you're building :)

Well to say the truth, so am i...    I think to really know, you have to take into account more than just a short description of what i think i want at the moment.

The beginning of my midibox adventure starts much earlier than the date on my first post....    I think i first found this forum a few years ago through  Mr. Henke.

Ive been using ableton since version 3 and for a few years there i think i never even shut the program down...  i was so into it i composed "an ode" to ableton and posted

it on the forum...  someone from the team saw it and printed it out and stuck it on the break room door. 

It was when Mr Henke was working on the monodeck that i discovered the midibox community...  However the time was not right because i ended up just

getting 4 faderfox and messing around with them.

Thats a short version of the first part...  and this is going somewhere..

So while all this was going on, i was employed as a landscaper.  I was working on a Saturday planting a huge tree in this guys backyard and i get talking to him about 3D (i  was almost equally fanatical about 3DS max and anything 3d in general) and it turns out he is the president of a rapid prototyping corporation -- --

Long story short -  I am now sitting in a large office with two 24" monitors in front of me with the title of -  - CAD industrial designer!

Im like Charlie here - you would not believe this place - CNC machines, lathes, any type of automated machining process you can name. Then there is the SLA process, where i design a part in 3D and the same night it is being built out of lasers and goo!!  Ive made good friends with a number of key employees throughout the facility, right now im working on replicating an old les paul for the head mold maker, he just needs the 3D data - you should see all the molded plastic parts he has already made in the last 3 years that he pulled out of his desk drawer. 

Bill the head model maker said that he ordered us both a new iron yesterday (just a $33 weller) and he uses all kinds of LEDs and light pipes and crazy tools to finish off the appearance models.

So how can i not see that the time for me to become a midiboxer has arrived.

The downside:  i have no programming skills (but my brother in law is a programming god)

i have no electronics experience.

What i think i want to build:  something similar to my faderfox.

Lots of pots

8-16 faders

lots of buttons

lots of leds

some joysticks or pads

You know, the standard overly enthusiastic midibox noob.

What i think i should stick to:

a standard midibox 64 (for now)

Ive made the plunge and ordered a core kit from smash with a 18F452 PIC (without asking my wife) so there is no turning back!

I plan on taking lots of photos and documenting my travels well for others because it can be pretty daunting at first - and we will see if some one like me can end up

writing apps and programing and really making something out of this, starting from nothing.

Hey you did ask... :)

• 3 weeks later...

(asking your wife..is like telling yourself "NO"...)  ;)            Well she has been surprisingly cool so far...  but she really could never know where this is headed.

Well she has been surprisingly cool so far...  but she really could never know where this is headed. (not that i do)

I just hope to know what you guys are talking about in your posts soon...right now all this troubleshooting you are going thru is like greek to me :-\

hi Benjamin

i see you silently lurking in the chat.. are you watching us??? ;)

I think i am not the only one asking:

Will the company you work for be interested in the future to produce small runs (i assume custom single run will be way too expensive) of front panels, buttons or any other kind of mechanical pieces we may need?

Simonej

i see you silently lurking in the chat.. are you watching us??? ;)

Will the company you work for be interested in the future to produce small runs

Simonej

Im just trying to take everything in...  i dont have much free time to read as i would like.

We would just have to see when the time comes..  im pretty much in with the president of the company, but everything would have to be go very smoothly.

Right now im just putting out the feelers everywhere i can and we will see what happens. 

I have a mountain of learning in front of me and i would love to give back to this community... so keep in touch