unable to change pic header? *solved - foolish me*

MrNibbles

Hi guys,

firstly, thanks for everything! this site is a fantastic tome of information!

secondly :S

A while ago a purchased a pre-burned pic chip from SmashTV (who provides an awesome service)!

Ive been having trouble getting my LCD to work, i originally had an old graphical LCD i had been using, but due to a severe orange juice accident it is no longer usable... (nothing else was orange juiced, the LCD wasnt in the machine at the time)

Anyway, i have in my hands a PowerTip PC2002A (yes shun me). I have seen on the forum that others were facing issues while using this LCD but i dont think my problem directly relates to this issue, if anyone has a success story with this particular LCD i would love to hear it.

When changing my PIC header using the change_id_v1_9d files, i encountered a problem:

The initial change went fine, the core re-booted (could tell because the black boxes on the lcd went off.. then on) and i got the familiar SysEX from mios telling me it was up and running.

After realising that i actually would have preferred setting mine to device ID0, i sent the hex:

-> device_id_01.hex: change to device ID 00 (-> 0000000000000000)

and this is where the problems began.. i still get the familiar sys-ex on power-on but i cannot seem to change the header... On starting the upload of the hex i see:

Sending Block 000030000-000030FF

and here the process freezes. It was fine for the first flash attempt!

I also cannot upload any other programs, or re-flash MIOS:

i get: sending reboot!

and the system doesnt re-boot. and the process freezes here.

any pointers would be lovely!

Many thanks!

Hey nibbles....Here have a bunch of questions: :D

Have you been able to upload other apps previously? Are you using the latest version of MIOs studio in smart mode, with "wait for request"=on? Did you paste those log messages or did you type them manually? (I already know the answer to this, but I'm making a point.) Where did the hex file you uploaded come from? What's your power supply? Have you disconnected all other modules so it's just the core and the lcd? Have you tried disconnecting the LCD backlight? What's the PIC you got from smash? Did it have MIOS installed or just the bootloader? What version? Have you done the midi troubleshooting?

Hi there!

sorry it was early (still is early!) when i posted that, should have gone into a bit more detail:

in answer to your questions:

Yes i have been able to upload other apps previously, in fact everything was working fine until my second attempt at changing the PIC header. No other hardware has changed since the first successful attempt (i think)!

I am using a wallwart 500ma @ 9v just for just the core to test this, and still the problem persists. The core ran fine from this before, and also from my C64 supply mod....

Yes, to test this out i have isolated the core module and tried both with and without the LCD.

The PIC i got from smash had BSL v 1.2B and MIOS v 1.9F with a header of 0000 0000 0000 1000 (which i was changing to 0000)

I have tried the MIDI troubleshooting guide, and am literally tearing my hair out!

It literally was working fine, flashed... worked fine... second flash.. now no response... :S

p.s thank you :D

oh and yes i have tried both wait for response and without, makes no difference... im currently fiddling away here

hi

it may be that

in MIOSStudio you have to address the PIC with the proper header, in your case set the "Device ID" to "0" and change accordingly if your changing the header again

Simone

EDIT: also remember that using the device_id_xx.hex files that you can find in the changee_id folder after unpacking will set the lcd flag to 0 = clcd

hi

in MISOStudio you have to address the PIC with the proper header, in your case set the "Device ID" to "1" and change accordingly if your changing the header again

Simone

!!

of course!!!!!!!!!

well i feel like a complete noob now...

thank you guys :D

p.s i cant believe i didnt think of that!!! i shouldnt have been up for 16 hours :S

as a thank you have something im working on:

http://mt11.quickshareit.com/share/audio/mrnibbleslabyrynt36626.mp3

:D

hi

yesterday it happened to me as well,puzzled for 5 minutes without really understanding what was going on.Those are the small details that are so easily overlooked when you are busy with main things, please follow the link on Stryd_one signature, you ll find some good infos and tips about how to avoid this in the future.

Simone