Electroswitch/Oak Grigsby encoder

Narwhal

I have this Oak Grigsby/Electroswitch high resolution optical encoder that I'd like to use and I'm wondering what people think the possibilities of using this with MIOS are.  I believe the normal encoders that most everyone here uses only have something like 22 PPR, and this one has 128 PPR.  The encoder also has built in Schmitt triggers and needs +5v applied for it to work.

The specs are located here:  http://www.electro-nc.com/oak/p0104.pdf

So I'm not really sure what the best way to hook this thing up is, or even if MIOS can deal with.  Do I use some DIN inputs?  Do I connect straight to the core?

I'm thinking if it goes to a DIN, then the DIN doesn't need the pullup resistors because it already outputs voltages that are pulled up and pulled down, correctly.. or at least it appears that way to me?

Thanks for the help

Kurt

3045_Electroswitch_encoder_jpg698108d68e

3047_SafariScreenSnapz002_jpgcba3822abdf

Do you have a spare one?  ;D

It looks like it might just work as-is, connected to DIN inputs.

The DIN would not need the pull-up resistors but it will work with DIN inputs with the pull-ups there.

Look at the encoder types here for reference:

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/encoder_types

and note that "peaks" on those graphs are when A and B make contact with C, which in MIDIbox land is connected to ground, which makes the DIN input go low (0V), whereas on this encoder's diagrams, "peaks" are highs (5V) which will make the DIN input high. Might be relevant if there are detents.

So plug it in, it should work!

wilba: the encoder came for "free" in the Tascam tape remote.  It was certainly a nice find.  No detents.. it's smooth like butter and comes with a big knob that seems to be filled with a large mass of copper (it has some serious heft to it).

woah.. you got me thinking.  How much would this particular encoder cost if I people wanted it.

The answer is $51.67 US not including the knob.  Perhaps a bit out range, but I'm sure there are scrap items like the Tascam on ebay where it can be acquired.

Thanks for the tips.. maybe I'll give it a shot today.