More changes to MBHC_IIC_MIDI

philetaylor

Hi.

I am currently working on another mod to IIC_MIDI to make it into a DMX512 interface.

Using some hacked code from another pic16f88 based Parallel->DMX interface, I have made some progress although my lack of knowledge regarding PIC memory management is really causing me some headaches.

As I am using the IIC_MIDI to effectively buffer 255 channels of DMX it requires me to use all 4 gpr's and I can't quite get my head round bank switching and what is visible when in another bank.

I have configured a register (called DMX_CHANNEL) in gpr0 which temporarilly stores the current DMX channel that is being updated by the Core but when I SWITCH_FSR_UPPER to access the upper banks I seem to lose the DMX_CHANNEL register (I assume because it is in the lower banks?). Is there any way round this or alternatively another regsiter I can use that is visible across all banks (other than W)?

I don't expect anybody to 'spoon feed' me but does anyone know of a good tutorial on this as I am really struggling to get my head round it. I have also looked at other turorials that say on certain PIC's banks 1/3 and 2/4 are shared I assume this isn't the case with the 16f88?

From re-reading the spec (again) am I right in thinking that if use registers 0x70-0x7f then these are shared across all banks???

Thanks

Phil

Try the ACCESS bank if you need it visible from all banks... Pretty sure the addresses you mentioned are in the access bank?

Maybe I won't get much 'proper' work today but at least I am learning about PIC memory management......

Yes that works, 0x70-0x7f are the ACCESS bank and are as you say visible from all banks.

Thanks

Phil