MB-6582 fan with LED question

lief138

OK Everyone knows I ask dumb questions so here is another one. I finally got around to picking up a fan with LED for the box. It has 3 wires. I assume that since its a computer fan it wants 12V and the led is going to want 5V.  I assume the fan would be ok with the 9V that goes to the SIDs. but I guess I am wondering were other people plug the fan in.

Ok thanks in advance

Lief

OK Phil,

You make a good point, plus ou prob know what your talking about. I spent a coulpe minutes minutes looking and found this

http://pinouts.ru/Motherboard/MbCpuFan_pinout.shtml

Then I got to looking more and see that some people choose to run their fans on 7V to make them quiter. So I will just plug 9V into the 12V pin and see what happens.

I will prob get a chance to check it out tonight as I had company over last night.

Thanks for the advice. As we find whereas and suchforth and likesuchas a little googling goes a long way...

I wouldn't say I know what I am talking about but I have worked in computers for about 18 years...... Back then you really had to know what you were talking about as you couldn't google the problem while the customer was on the 'phone :)

It is worth trying a lower voltage as you shouldn't damage the fan.

Phil

It all depends on the fan whether it will run on less than 12V. I've used some that could run happily on 5V. Typically the "good" ones should work at lower voltages - esp. ones intended for PCs, where they are often driven by fan controllers that vary the voltage to suit the temperature (or user's preferred noise level!).

For what it's worth, the fan on the MB-6582 prototype was a bit of a show-off - there was space there to put it, and I thought it would look cool, but it's not essential. If you're not also cutting ventilation slots on the right side, near the eight banksticks and regulators, then there won't be much air flow anyway. So, you are probably better off buying some cheap, black, quiet 10mm thick fan and driving it at 5V, than some noisy, flashy 20mm thick fan and driving it at 12V. Also keep in mind that some fans will put noise into the audio! The fan I intended to use on the Mk II was like this, and I changed it to a cheap black one just to fill the hole (well yes it is functional and pushes some air around but I doubt the 6582s would overheat without it).