Power supply: Regulated, or non-regulated?

Max Romantschuk

I've been searching the forums for a definite answer, but haven't really been able to find one...

When powering the core from J1, do I need a regulated power supply?

The docs on ucapps state 7-10 volts, AC or DC, polarity insignificant. But what about stability? A lot of people seem to use around 9V. Does the core power regulation circuitry take care of stabilizing the voltage to 5V under varying load? Does it make sense to spend the extra money on a regulated power supply over a non-regulated one?

Some people wrote about using a linear power supply and not a switched one. Is this important?

As the Core has a bridge rectifier, a 5v regulator and a big electrolytic cap, you can just feed it ac straight out of a transformer so pretty much any ac or dc psu with a nominal 9v output would be fine.

The reason for linear rather than switch-mode is because the core might not draw enough current to make a switch mode psu start. I would have thought that a switch mode should be OK if you have an LCD with backlight but unless you have one lying around, linear should be cheaper anyway!

Thanks

Phil