ClockBox Box

Sasha

Knowing you are living on a farm it was easy for you to get it. And you get a tail for free so you can make a nice key dongle out of it.  Hahaha

We don't have goats and we don't slaughter our own animals, you need a license to do that in the UK. Personally, I get skins from the music shop! The best goat skins come from Africa; the warm arrid climate over there makes the goat skin have less hair folicles and is therefore a better quality for drum skins.

I`m sure it is satisfying. Tuning is something I always hated. I like things that you just build and they work as should without tuning. And I especially hate coils!  >:(

Tuning a djembe isn't too difficult, you just need to learn how to do a mali weave, or pulling diamonds as it is commonly known. Basically the spare bit of string is passed under two vertical strings (two that have the big gap between them) then over the top and back under the first vertical string... then you wedge the drum between your feet and pull the spare string... This should pull the two vertical strings together, creating a diamond.. you then carry on. A properly tuned drum shouldn't have more than 1cm play in the skin if you push it in the middle and should have a nice booming bass and a high topend with quite adifference in sound between the two... keep pulling diamonds untill you acheive this. Once it's setup and settled then it should be good for a long time.