Learning PIC programming

Guest JimCook

Guest JimCook

I have some modest programming chops (including some C64 assembly programming in my youth...).  What's the best way to learn PIC programming?  I'd like to get a programmer to burn my own programs (and MIOS, of course).  Any recommendations?  How 'bout assemblers?  Are the free MicroChip development tools adequate?

Thanks!

Jim

I would get myself some good book (but I dont know any in English - sorry).

First, there are cool examples in there, and second, there is always a library with all functions, which you can always use.

If you dont want to buy it, you could get it at your local library or so.

Hi Jim

I chased all around to find some learning goodies for pics and assembly.

Follow this link to a place that sets it all out real good and totally understandable. I have subscribed to this site and found it invaluable. theres a bunch of good stuff on pics without the sub too ;D

http://talkingelectronics.com/

All the best

Ian

Guest JimCook

Mickey,

I just bought that book at Powell's City of Books this afternoon before I read your recommendation.  It appears to be very complete and has just the right pace for me.  I grok microprocessors and assembly code, just don't have experience with PICs.  I'm glad to see that someone else thinks it's worth the $50.  Includes a CD-ROM AND a bare PC board programmer!

Thanks!

Jim

Guest JimCook

Ian,

This version is MUCH different!   :)  Focus is on the mid-range PICs but with a lot of info on the 18 series.  Pseudo code examples are in C (which may or may not be good, assembly and C can be pretty obfuscative... ???).  Relatively little info on BASIC but with the usual mention of the Stamps, etc.  Actually, the chapter on PIC architecture is tough for this old C64 programmer to follow (Harvard architecture and all that, quite different than the venerable 6502)  :o.  Was thankfully pleased to discover the 18 series is a little more straightforward than the low end PICs...

Don't send for a copy on my recommendation but if you spot it in a bookstore, check it out!  I think technical books sell by the pound and this feels like a $50 book when you pick it up.   ;D

Jim