bankstick question MidiBox64E

rick.repsher

From what I see, I can connect a maximum of 8 24LC256's together.  Is there really any reason I need to use the "bank stick" format, instead of just putting them right in the box?  Is it possible to save the data on from this array via MIDI... by default... as in without additional "programming"?. 

Also, the documentation talks about groups and banks.  Just so I have this right, a group consists of 8 banks, and each bank is the data for one setup, snapshot, patch... whatever you want to call it.  Each 24LC256 stores 1 group, so with the maximum stuffing, you have 64 banks (setups, patches, etc.)

Do I have all of this straight?

Thanks

RR

From what I see, I can connect a maximum of 8 24LC256's together.  Is there really any reason I need to use the "bank stick" format, instead of just putting them right in the box?

Not really, you can also put them into the box.

The Sub-D socket variant has the advantage, that you can change the setup by plugging another BankStick into the socket instead of changing the Bank with a dedicated Bank Selection button or from the menu. I find this more intuitive, but you are free to use alternative methods of course.

Is it possible to save the data on from this array via MIDI... by default... as in without additional "programming"?. 

Yes, via SysEx dumps (see doc/midibox64e_sysex_implementation.txt of the release package)

Also, the documentation talks about groups and banks.  Just so I have this right, a group consists of 8 banks, and each bank is the data for one setup, snapshot, patch... whatever you want to call it.  Each 24LC256 stores 1 group, so with the maximum stuffing, you have 64 banks (setups, patches, etc.)

No - each bank consists of multiple groups. The number of groups depends on the configured "group width" which depends on the number of rotary encoders and/or pots which are connected to your MIDIbox.

128 parameters are stored in a bank.

If 64 encoders are connected, you choose a group width of 64 in your setup_*.asm file, which means that 64 encoders can control 128 parameters splitted over 2 groups.

If 16 encoders are connected, you choose a group width of 16, which means that 16 encoders can control 128 parameters splitted over 8 groups.

If only a single encoder is connected, you choose a group width of 1, which means that all 128 parameters can be controlled with the single encoder.

Each BankStick can store 8 of such banks, and since up to 8 banksticks are supported, 64 banks are available.

The BankStick partitioning changes once you choose the "patch mode" instead of "normal mode", but I guess that I don't need to go too much into detail anymore ;)

All parameters are explained in the setup_*.asm file. Select one which basically fits your needs, modify it if required, rebuild a .hex file and upload it into the PIC

Sorry for all the confusion, previous users requested too many variants which resulted into a complicate configuration (they have been warned! ;))

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Now I am even more confused...

I am looking to build a MidiBox64E as a controller for a live setup.  I guess that means that I want to be in "patch mode."  My goal is to have 8 encoders dedicated to volume on 8 channels, and at least 4 encoders that I can map to functions depending on the patch.  Maybe an analog input or two.  Of course I'll need an LCD, the mandatory menu buttons, and whatever extra buttons to select the patch. 

So I'm guessing that the size of each patch will depend on the number of parameters I'm looking to save.  Where does that leave me?  Can I save the data for... lets say 50 patches to an internal "bank stick array."

Thanks

RR

How 'bout if we look at this a different way.  What does patch mode get me?  Or am I going in completely the wrong direction?

I guess I misunderstood the part in the tutorial under 'Bank Submenu' and 'Select Group / Bank'... The Deluxe Solution.

Thanks again.

RR

Details about the patch mode are explained here: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox64_e_patchmode

I think that patch mode will be a good solution for your use case, as it allows you to store up to 128 patches per BankStick. And each BankStick can store a configuration for 128 parameters, which means, that you could prepare different BankSticks for different Synths, and/or share parameters for different Synths in different parameter groups which are part of the configuration.

The disadvantage of the patch mode: you are not able to assign different CC numbers for different patches. Means in other words: encoders/pots/buttons are always mapped to the same MIDI events. Using different MIDI event mappings will require a new configuration, stored in another BankStick.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK,

First off, I want to thank you for you patience with me on this matter.  I actually did look at the document http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=midibox64_e_patchmode, but I think due to my misunderstanding of the “bank†portion of the whole discussion, I just didn’t see the whole picture.  I also did not see any discussion about patch mode in the MidiBox64E Tutorial, but I may have missed it.

I have a couple more questions, and hopefully we can out this thread to bed.

1) Is it possible to save encoder "positions" as part of a patch?

2) As part of a patch, you can send sysex.  Any sysex (obviously events only)?  Program changes?

3) You state that, by default, program changes are available through the menu or via midi.  Is it possible to program a series of buttons to control this?

Thanks again for you help

RR

1) Is it possible to save encoder "positions" as part of a patch?

Yes - actually the encoder positions are the parameter values, all 128 values will be stored in a patch.

2) As part of a patch, you can send sysex.  Any sysex (obviously events only)?

SysEx (in fact any MIDI data) can be sent by programming a meta event (-> see src/mb64e_meta.inc)

Program changes?

yes, possible even without programming a meta event

3) You state that, by default, program changes are available through the menu or via midi.  Is it possible to program a series of buttons to control this?

You mean, using a small number of buttons (e.g. 9 or 2*8 ) to enter a program number? No, this isn't natively supported, but could be realized with meta events as well. Unfortunately this requires some advanced programming skills, and there are no examples which directly demonstrate how to implement your request.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK,

Once again, thanks for your cooperation.  I am interested in building a unit... I just want to make sure I'll have something that meets my needs (at least in part!)

I'm sure many other users have started off the same way... a project in mind that morphs into something else.

I'm ready to play!

RR