Cascading serial EEPROMs for larger memory..

davotron

Howdy..

I had a couple of spare 24LC256 EEPROMS lying around, so thought I'd try to use them as banksticks for my MB SID, running midibox_sid_v2_0_rc28 to give me 64k instead buying some 512's.  I assumed if I hooked them up in parallel to the core, but made one "hardware address" A0 and the other A1 I would get 2 x 32k giving me a full 128 slots available to store patches (ensembles aside for now).  This doesn't seem to work though, they are both formatted correctly though.  I get the first 64 patches uploaded, then 65 - 128 say "no bankstick"; if I swap the addresses around, make the one that was A0 A1 and A1 A0 I get the first 64 saying "empty" (which is correct as nothing was uploaded to this other chip) and the next 64 saying "no bankstick".  This proves the connections of the memories to the core must be right - I just have a little address jumper to either ground or tie address pin 1 (physical pin 1) of the memory to +5v, so the memory at A0 is seen but the other isn't.  Am I missing something?  It's probably easier to just get some 512k memories ordered! but thats no fun, so I thought I'd run it past you guys to see if I've missed something fundamental!

The firmware doesn't give you the possibility to combine 2x32k to a single bank with 128 patterns. I spent this effort for MBSID, but it was a lot of work which I don't want to do again (especially because MBSID V2 got a much more complicated bank handling than the previous version)

So, based on your descriptions the BankSticks have been formatted correctly for Bank 1 and 2

You can use the MBSIDV2 Editor to split the preset bank into two 64 patch banks, so that all patches are accessible.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: for the case that the documentation isn't clear enough:

Bank 1: A0=0V, A1=0V, A2=0V

Bank 2: A0=5V, A1=0V, A2=0V

Bank 3: A0=0V, A1=5V, A2=0V

Bank 4: A0=5V, A1=5V, A2=0V

Bank 5: A0=0V, A1=0V, A2=5V

Bank 6: A0=5V, A1=0V, A2=5V

Bank 7: A0=0V, A1=5V, A2=5V

Bank 8: A0=5V, A1=5V, A2=5V