Implementing MIOS32 for midibox LC

Anthony

I'm interested in using MIOS32 and the STM32 microcontroller to create a midibox LC.  I have seen the code for the LC, which is written in ASM, and the MIOS32 code, written in C.  I was wondering if it would be difficult to create a midibox LC with the MIOS32 operating system.  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to create an LC with the MIOS32?  Will I have to write my own functions?  I am a young engineer with some experience with the STM32 so technical jargon is welcome.  Thank you.

I remember there was a 2.0 version written in C in TK's pipeline - strangely there's no reference to it anywhere on uCApps, the Wiki or the SVN. The link TK mentioned a few times on the forum is dead. So I searched on the forum and found this thread: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,9439.0.html - if you scroll down a few posts, you'll find the v2.0_alpha1 as an attachment.

Don't know how alpha this version is, but it should be much easier for you to port to MIOS32 :)

S

I won't release the C based MBLC V2 for the PIC, as it is incomplete (e.g. no graphical LCD support), and since I won't be able to maintain it in future. A STM32 module is already built into my MBLC case, but in the last weeks I focused more on trying some new stuff (e.g. controlling motorfaders via OSC messages transmitted over ethernet) than using the Logic Control protocol.

The V2 code will be the basis for the MIOS32 variant... sooner or later.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you for the information, Thorsten.  I really like what you are doing with your open source MIDI projects.

Are there advantages to using OSC messages over Ethernet rather than using MIDI over USB?  Also, does Logic Pro have native OSC support?  I am interested in using the most current technology available.  Thank you.

Are there advantages to using OSC messages over Ethernet rather than using MIDI over USB?

Beside of the flexibility: not really.

OSC is even slower than MIDI over USB (tested with a UDP packets sent between Reaktor<->STM32 under MacOS and Windows)

Also, does Logic Pro have native OSC support?

no - it's more interesting for experimental stuff. Accessing the motorfaders via OSC is more comfortable from Reaktor or Max/MSP. Another advantage: less cables and access from/to multiple computers if MBHP_ETH is connected to a WLAN bridge or router/hub/switch. But none of the DAWs I know natively support OSC yet.

Best Regards, Thorsten.