Unusual potentiometers

woozle

I believe I've exhausted my english language resources for this, as well as forum searches.

I'm looking for a 20 or 30mm linear pot with a center detent. The only company I can find that makes these is Bourns. I'd prefer the PTA series, but the PDV or PTL series might do. I'm not really sure about the insulated post w/led. If it is durable it might be great but I question that. I've found the PTL series available for order, but the minimum is 250. Has anyone seen any of these on non-english supplier websites?

The other option might be a rotary potentiometer with a pushbutton momentary switch. I'm not sure if this component even exists. Has anyone come across such a thing?

I know you're desperate... but crossposting is not cool. I know, you get more attention by starting a new thread.... what this equates to, is cluttering up the forum to try and solve your problems... ie, laying your troubles on us all. That's not very nice. I won't merge them this time because I know you're in a sticky spot, and I want to help, but next time, help us to help you, by not trashing our pad. Googling "netiquette" will get you some good tips :D

I think I've done my homework...

Anyway, I assume you emailed those manufacturer/distributors we saw on google? and you've gone about 10000 google searches since then, found a bunch more, called or emailed, and got responses from them all, giving you all the distributors locally and internationally, and you've also emailed them and waited for responses, and found out all of their retailers and called/emailed them and waited for responses too? Well, We know they haven't replied that fast......... Maybe you haven't even mailed them all yet ...

I know it sounds like a total pain in the ass that will take forever... that's because it is :( Unfortunately parts-hunting can (often) be like that.....

If all of those methods fail to find you a low MOQ, you could always try a bulk order :)

For future searches, here's what I've found so far.

Answer to one of my questions: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,13228.0.html

Alps makes a center detented pot with a momentary switch. Not panel mount unfortunately, but nice nonetheless. Absolutely noone that I can find stocks this item.

The only 30mm detented slide pots I have found in stock are made by Alpha and available through Mouser. The downside here is that they sport an LED in the post which brings the price up, and I don't really want the led to start with. Alpha also makes a clear post rotary pot with a knurled shaft that can be used with an led. No detent option in stock that I could find. Also available through Mouser. http://www.mouser.com/catalog/637/673.pdf

Bourns is still the only company I've been able to find that makes a 20 or 30mm detented slide pot with a metal post. Noone stocks it.

For future searches, here's what I've found so far.

I love when people do that, for one simple reason: Future searchers love when people do that. :D

Thanks man!

Bourns is still the only company I've been able to find that makes a 20 or 30mm detented slide pot with a metal post. Noone stocks it.

Seriously man, try the distributors. It's extremely common for parts to be non-stocked, but if you ask, the distributors will often ship them in from a big batch of stock which the manufacturer holds in their warehouses for just such a purpose. At the *very* least, you should be able to order a small amount of them as samples.

One thing that has just now occurred to me, is that 30mm is extremely small... having a detent in there could be less than useful... Have you/can you consider a longer slider? You might have better luck finding a more 'normal' part.

Now I'm really curious what you need such a baby fader for :D

Seriously man, try the distributors. It's extremely common for parts to be non-stocked, but if you ask, the distributors will often ship them in from a big batch of stock which the manufacturer holds in their warehouses for just such a purpose. At the *very* least, you should be able to order a small amount of them as samples.

Thanks for the tip, I did not know that was possible. I will definitely hit up some of the distributors and see if I can get any bites.

One thing that has just now occurred to me, is that 30mm is extremely small... having a detent in there could be less than useful... Have you/can you consider a longer slider? You might have better luck finding a more 'normal' part.

Now I'm really curious what you need such a baby fader for :D

EQs.

I've become very accustomed to my slide eq's on my current analog mixer. They're 20mm with detents. I think I would like to try something just a tad bit longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps I should have named this thread simply "Detented Potentiometers" as they seem to be in scarce supply in any form. I've given up on slide pots for now, but I've only found 2 rotary pots with detents, and really only one that I think will work well with this project.

For anyone looking for a cheap pcb mount detented pot, check out All Electronics: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LPC-10K/10K-LINEAR-POT-W/CENTER-DETENT-PC-MT/-/1.html

Several other stores have this same pot, but the link above is the cheapest I do believe.

The only panel mount detented pot I've found is from Bourns in Newark's catalog:

http://www.newark.com/jsp/content/printCatalog.jsp?display=single&cat=c126&page=595

I prefer this pot, but I wish it had a metal shaft and solder lugs. The one above may have to do. Price is about right, especially as it is marked down at the moment.

These are my only findings, if anyone would care to share theirs I would appreciate it greatly.

(as an aside, can someone tell me what the 4th pin on the Bourns pot is?)