Testtone not working on Core 1

weedoo

Look for the worst looking solder joint in the SID voice module. But have you tried both L and R chips ? If both doens`t work, it`s the core. It would help if you had the LCD working to see if the CORE is working correctly.

Is your LCD connected like this : http://www.midibox.org/users/jim_henry/building_a_midibox_lcd_cable.pdf

I remember you had problems with the LCD from chatting yesterday.

First make sure the PIC has the firmware correctly uploaded, and perhaps check this PIC in another working Core/SID combination.

Then check it is actually running happily in Core 1 (by connecting LCD, looking at MIDI Out log, etc.)

Then you can try the interconnection test app (found in the same place as the testtone app). Someone else recently was doing this and updated the wiki, check for recent posts.

If the interconnection tests all pass, you can try checking the audio output buffer separately (although I doubt both buffers will be at fault causing no sound on both channels)... you use a resistor to bridge two pins of an unstuffed SID socket... the details should be in the testtone .asm file. One of the control lines to the SIDs is pulsed at 1Khz and you connect that to the SID output pin on the socket, which produces a tone out of the jacks.

Since you say you uploaded to all the PICs, it's probably most likely one of the common control lines are not working, or the shift registers underneath (they're both plugged in correctly? getting power correctly?) You'll know for sure when you run the interconnection tests.

I forgot to talk about my LCD, I double checked the wires and everything should be ok. I have a black-red lcd, the only thing I see is RED, the whole thing is red. Maybe one of you would know the reason why. I hope I didn't burn it somehow. I know I had a couple wires wrong the first try, when I saw it was not working, I rechecked the forum and realized I had made a mistake, I corrected the ordering. Dead LCD should be red or black ? :P

The red is probably the backlight showing through the LCD.

Make sure when it's on and working, you turn the contrast pot... most LCDs look best with the pot turned fully one way (I think it's to ground).... if it's at the other end you won't see anything and think it's not working.

One SID not producing tone is a good sign that there's just some bad connections on that SID socket, or something wrong with the audio buffer above that socket. It would seem the PIC connections to the shift registers below both sockets, and the shift registers themselves, are all good.