Need Help - No Sound and strange Interconnection Test results

ben-o-matic

Hi all,

I try to build a simple Sid-Midibix based on a 8580. Was able to run MIOS and upload the Chip-Setup but no sound came out. The test signal didn't work out either.

So I went for the Interconnection Test. I begun with PIN A0, but these the reults:

RES= 5V

CLK= 0

RW#= 5V

CS#=5V

A0= 5V

A1=5V

A2=5V

A3=5V

A4=5V

D7=5V

D6=5V

D5=5V

D4=5V

D3=5V

D2=5V

D1=5V

D0=5V

Shouldn't only A0 have 5V while the others are low? Don't know if it is a measuring failure - i connected one multimeter pin to 5V+ and the other to the subject pins of the sid frame.

Can anybody help me here? Thanks a lot!

You should connect your multimeter to ground and one of the selected pins, not +5V and the selected pin. Probably you'll get better results now :)

All pins should output 0V except for CLK which is +5V by default. For A0 for instance, you have measured the difference between +5 and the 0V that A0 puts out (when not modulated), that gives 5V. The CLK was 5V already, so there's no difference, hence 0V. If you measure from ground however, A0 will read 0V and CLK will read 5V. If you now send a modulation signal to A0, it should read 5 volts. The same for all the other pins, except for CLK, which will read 0V when modulated.

Thank you all for your help.

I have a soldering set and I soldered everything in place - several resistors and a diode as well. Everything looks good to me. And the LCD on J15 is running fine. Midi IN and Midi Out are working too, as I was able to upload applications with respond from the core. I'm not sure if the problem relates to the Core or the Sid Module...

Any suggestions anyone?

Best regards

Benjamin

The first thing to keep in mind is that you should have run the interconnect test and/or testtone app *before* trying it with the SID chip.  That way in the event of a problem like you are having here you won't damage your SID chip.  Hopefully it escaped just fine. <end lecture> :-)

Anyway...Did you test the pins of the 74HC595 chips to ensure they are getting correct voltages (google for the datasheet)?  (This also should be done before inserting chips to prevent damaging them.)

If that works out okay, then (as noted in the readme.txt file that comes with the interconnect app) you should be able to move the modwheel on a MIDI controller to select different pins.  Basically everything should be 0V except for CS# which should be +5V when not selected via the modwheel, and +5V when selected (except for CS# which will go to 0V when selected).  Do the other pins toggle between +5V/0V as expected when they are selected?

If other pins are working then check for shorts on the bad pins (they might be shorted to +5V somehow).  If other pins are not changing when selected via the modwheel, again check the soldering for shorts.  You also may have a problem with the interconnect between the boards, so double-check your wiring.

I'm not familiar with the standalone config of CORE + SID (I built a MB-6582) but you apparently need a 1k resistor and a diode for the CAN bus even if you have no slaves, so make sure you have that diode and resistor as shown in the diagram posted by zgba.

Good luck!

Stupid question - have you connected both modules to +5V and SID module to +9/12V? It seems that your core works just fine, so there's probably a problem with your SID module and/or with the connection inbetween. And post some photos of your setup (solderside too) if you can. Maybe we could spot something then. Good luck mate.

Yes, power is connected and runs fine. I will doublecheck solderings and cables tomorrow - hopefully this will do. Otherwise I will check with different "modulation wheel channels" and let you know the results. Uploading pictures is a good idea, too.

For now I call it a day. Thank you all -  this is a very helpful community here.

Benjamin

Dear all,

I have checked everything, soldering is ugly but looks okay so I don't know what to do.

When boot up the Interconnection Test everything runs fine. I am able to switch the pins via modulation wheel, too.

When I start measuring all pins (A0-A4, D0-D7) have 0V. Strangely, when I do a reboot, all these pins have 5V (5.2V in my case but that shouldn't be the problem).

So all pins are off or all pins are on, but the selection via modulation wheel doesn't have an effect. I tried several pins, always the same.

Can anyone help me?

THANKS!!!

Benjamin