6581 help

bhc303

Hi all, looking at these 6581 SID's on ebay (04.09.2009) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110430385717&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Want to do a little stereo 6581 project.

I asked...

hey mate, Did you pull these chips your self?

all chips been tested professionally?

defiantly not faulty, remarked or fakes?

sorry for interrogation, but don't want to get ripped, I know of a couple of people that have had bad luck with chips...

Cheers

His response

No, I bought it from a supplier. The chip has been tested. Read my feedbacks, I have sold heaps of them without any problem. I can give you a 100% guarantee.

so my question is... how many people that posted feed back actually tested them? any of you lot bought from this guy?

Could any one here that's in Melbourne test these SID's for me as I don't the facilities to at the moment?

cheers

Hi all, looking at these 6581 SID's on ebay (04.09.2009) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110430385717&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Want to do a little stereo 6581 project.

I asked...

hey mate, Did you pull these chips your self?

all chips been tested professionally?

defiantly not faulty, remarked or fakes?

sorry for interrogation, but don't want to get ripped, I know of a couple of people that have had bad luck with chips...

Cheers

His response

No, I bought it from a supplier. The chip has been tested. Read my feedbacks, I have sold heaps of them without any problem. I can give you a 100% guarantee.

so my question is... how many people that posted feed back actually tested them? any of you lot bought from this guy?

Could any one here that's in Melbourne test these SID's for me as I don't the facilities to at the moment?

cheers

You could try asking him how he tested the chips.

If he just used a c64 to test one, the filter could still be dead, lets face, most sid tunes in games etc.. do not use the filter at all.

The fact he mentioned midibox and sidstation is looking good though,

and if you look at the feedback some people have already installed them and tested them out.

BTW it's virtually impossible to get two 6581 with the same output levels, noise level and filter characteristics. I gave up after acquiring about 8 of them. So... getting a stereo 6581 setup to sound good is difficult. Plus I've grown to hate the noisy, flaky, overheating little buggers :) Avoid the hype and the hassle, get some 8580 or 6582A. 6581s are for masochist hard-core SID fans ;)

BTW it's virtually impossible to get two 6581 with the same output levels, noise level and filter characteristics. I gave up after acquiring about 8 of them. So... getting a stereo 6581 setup to sound good is difficult. Plus I've grown to hate the noisy, flaky, overheating little buggers :) Avoid the hype and the hassle, get some 8580 or 6582A. 6581s are for masochist hard-core SID fans ;)

I cant understand why they chose that model for the sidstation in the first place!

thanks for help all!

going to build a mb 6582 with 8 beautiful 6582's  :)

would like to have a crack at a little 6581 project, looks like the mono option is they way to go, cheers wilba for pointing that out mate!

8)

well its not like 2 x 6581 will be useless either, you may even like the randomness of the output!

Maybe start a 1 x6581 first using a sid module + core, and then go onto do the mb6582.

it would be good practice.

And welcome to the forum!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely recommend having also 6581's. I have 2x8580 and 2x6581R4, and the 6581's are very nice and warm sounding. I like them for bass sounds a lot as they have a certain glow in the sound that the 8580's lack. It's true they might not match very well - I guess I'm lucky that mine are pretty similar to each other.

Actually, it's months since I have even powered on my MBSID... Been getting into guitar tube amp modding lately! I think I have to make some SID sounds tonight!  :)