Only first 8 digits on 16x1 LCD

surei

Hi,

I connected a 16x1 character display (standard LCD 16x1 from Reichelt) to a core, and I can only get the first 8 digits to work. Interestingly enough, when booting, the MIOS message uses all 16 characters (so hardware problems can be safely excluded), but once the application loads, only 8 digits work. Also, when rebooting after uploading the application, it only displays "rebootin" (the 'g' missing, as it is the ninth character).

Any idea?

BTW, the 16x2 display from Reichelt is working fine on another core modul, and I did not have any problems getting that to work as expected.

Thanks for your help

Reiner

After testing with the other application it showed the same behaviour, only eight characters are displayed. But I found out what's happening:

The driver is treating the 16 characters as if they are two lines of eight characters each! Hence, when setting the cursor position to 0x40, it prints on the right hand side of the display. Not quite what I would expect, but I can certainly live with that.

Makes me wonder though why the MIOS boot message comes out using all 16 characters ??

BTW: The datasheet says its a KS0066 or compatible

Many thanks

Reiner

Thats the normal behaviour of most 1x16 displays - unfortunately...

When you are using the search function of this forum, you will find many postings where people reported the same.

Makes me wonder though why the MIOS boot message comes out using all 16 characters ??

What's exactly your boot message?

BTW: The datasheet says its a KS0066 or compatible

Controller compatibility doesn't ensure, that characters are print at the same position.

The character position depends on the way, how the manufacturer connected the LCD row/columns to the controller.

However, if you are planning to program your own application, the solution is simple: use 0x00..0x07 to address the left half, and 0x40..0x47 to address the right half.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hallo Thorsten,

many thanks for your answer. Actually, I did search, but perhaps not thoroughly enough, sorry. It did turn up a large number of things, but nothing seemed to answer the question.

Anyway, I was wrong about the boot message (meaning the MIOS copyright message). It actually displayed he first eight characters of each line of it. It did look funny, but it didn't occured to me it was wrong.

So all is cleared up, and as you said, it's easy to work around it once you know it behaves that way. So the thingy is working fine now.

Thanks

Reiner