Blank LCD

insidius

Hi all, I'm a total n00b building my fist MB6582. Base board has been completed following the instructions very carefully. Followed the testing instructions - everything looking good (had a friend with electronics experience help me with this). Wired up the LCD and it lights up, but nothing is on the screen. Is this normal? What should happen? What do I do now? Please help!

Thanks

Hi all, I'm a total n00b building my fist MB6582. Base board has been completed following the instructions very carefully. Followed the testing instructions - everything looking good (had a friend with electronics experience help me with this). Wired up the LCD and it lights up, but nothing is on the screen. Is this normal? What should happen? What do I do now? Please help!

Thanks

Try to adjust the pots/trimmers (P1/P2) on the base panel. They control the amount of contrast of the LCD

Kind regards,

Frank

P1 and P2 are the contrast and brightness trimmer pots. They are just below the master PIC on the far right.

Unless you have just installed MIOS or an application that uses the LCD, you won't see any text on the LCD.

Some LCDs will show a row of filled rectangles if they are powered but haven't been initialized by a microcontroller.

99% of the time, people who say "I don't see anything on the LCD" just have the contrast pot turned fully one way, which makes the text invisible.

So try that first, as well as turning the brightness to 50%, and uploading something, even a fresh reinstall of MIOS will show "READY." on the LCD.

P1/P2??? I'm a bit lost!!!! How do I do this??? Sorry about this but Im a bit confused!

These are potentiometers (round black with white inner center) which you can adjust with a small screwdriver.

If you don't have uploaded the MIOS firmware to the PIC module yet, there's little to see on the LCD. Look in the MIOS bootloader MIOS8 newbie section (see http://ucapps.de/) how to upload.

Kind Regards,

Frank