Resetting PIC?

mazer

Hello all,

after almost 2 years for doing nothing to my midibox construction project I finally decided to build it up with a minimum control surface to just get it done to work with it in a studio environment.

Two years for doing nothing also showed that you can forget everything about building midibox :-D I had no clue which configuration of controls I had uploaded in it and decided to upload a default configuration of midibox and solder those few needed buttons and rotary.

With MIOS studio I started uploading midibox setup6582.hex and somehow with a lack of understanding I managed to screw up the upload and it jammed within two seconds. After that it started to restart the PIC in every 3 seconds over and over again with no ending. It shows the bootloader startup message on the lcd screen with few random wrong characters and stays in a loop of restarting. It just won't stop to any state.

I luckily had the old PIC18F452 which I replaced and could continue the soldering and everything worked well, although this PIC has older version and can not receive e.g. vintage sound bank in it.

My actual question is that am I somehow able to reset the PIC18F4685 to bootloader/mios -state with no midibox-software in it or does it need a reburn? I can deal with the older PIC but would be nice to get newer software to use.

Hello all,

after almost 2 years for doing nothing to my midibox construction project I finally decided to build it up with a minimum control surface to just get it done to work with it in a studio environment.

Two years for doing nothing also showed that you can forget everything about building midibox :-D I had no clue which configuration of controls I had uploaded in it and decided to upload a default configuration of midibox and solder those few needed buttons and rotary.

With MIOS studio I started uploading midibox setup6582.hex and somehow with a lack of understanding I managed to screw up the upload and it jammed within two seconds. After that it started to restart the PIC in every 3 seconds over and over again with no ending. It shows the bootloader startup message on the lcd screen with few random wrong characters and stays in a loop of restarting. It just won't stop to any state.

I luckily had the old PIC18F452 which I replaced and could continue the soldering and everything worked well, although this PIC has older version and can not receive e.g. vintage sound bank in it.

My actual question is that am I somehow able to reset the PIC18F4685 to bootloader/mios -state with no midibox-software in it or does it need a reburn? I can deal with the older PIC but would be nice to get newer software to use.

from http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap_newbies.html

In fact two bootstrap loaders do exist, one with a very basic functionality, which gets active for ca. 2 seconds after a power-on, and a secondary loader, which is part of MIOS itself. The communication protocol of both loaders is identical, accordingly the same tools can be used.

It's important to know, that MIOS itself can only be uploaded with the primary loader. Applications can always be uploaded - if not, there is an error in the application which prevents this, but in this case you could just use the primary loader in order to refresh the code under safe conditions (just power-off/power-on the core or trigger the external reset by tipping ground to pin #1 of the PIC).

So that's the original bootloader and the MIOS bootloader, the difference is just a matter of timing.

Make sure you don't have your core output looped back to your core input.. (or the PC out to the PC input either).. those might cause a lockup condition.

Have Fun,

LyleHaze