my drum trigger idea

ultra

just throwing out an idea i had for another midibox, perhaps others would throw in their 2c.

i have an m-audio trigger finger that i want to put into a midibox. i'll take just the pads out of the trigger finger (get rid of the knobs, faders, etc) and put it into a new case. then i'll route the midi straight into an ultracore, and write software that's designed for layering multiple drums.

the software would let you pre-program your drum machine mappings into it. so for a pad, you could pick which drum from which machine would play on that pad from a list of available drums. then, you could add additional drums from other machines to the same pad for layering. the one-time setup of the midi mappings, with drum names that make sense, would make it easy to set up a lot of different drums and drum layerings.

incoming midi would only have to address a note assigned to that pad, and all associated drums would play. so complex sequences for layering can be reduced to a single note that plays all the layered drums for you.

i also thought a 4x40 lcd would be appropriate for showing information and setting up the pads. perhaps even 16 encoders and 16 buttons for the 16 pads would allow some additional control, and maybe a simple drum sequencer could be integrated.

the ultracore would allow multiple drum machines to be directly connected.

just my idea, it'll be a while until i build this (if ever), so i just hoped to start a thread to bat around ideas.

ultra

Hey, I had a similar idea except to tie it to the mbseq somehow. For me, a sequencer with pads and the 16 general purpose buttons and knobs would be a killer controller and cut down on the number of boxes cluttering up the studio.

I thought about hacking a cpl. Akai LPD8's or a replacement pad set for an mpc1000. I think having the pads integrated into the control surface of the sequencer could be useful for doing track mutes and/or track solos.

The sticking part for me is the programming aspect, ie. bank select, note mapping, pad sensitivity, velocity and then how to possibly extend the functionality to include track mute and solo........

Maybe the programming aspect could be integrated into the mbseq or used to create a standalone box of pads.

here's a sketchup of a possible panel design that shows the mpc1000 pads to scale below the general purpose knobs and buttons on the mbseq. It is 23" long and 7" deep:

post-6428-126011987803_thumb.png

Edited by mirrorcrypt

i wouldn't bother integrating this into a seq. partly because i already have one, but mostly because you could just sequence this via midi. from the seq, all you'd have to do is just assign it to the note associated with the pad, and the layered sounds would play. i figure an internal sequencer (much simpler than the seq) could be used just to make some quick patterns, and you'd have the option to connect it to any other sequencer you want.

i'm going to use the trigger finger, even though i'd prefer a 2x8 layout like in your image. by using the trigger finger, i can route its own midi into the core and translate it to whatever i want. the trigger finger's own electronics will take care of reading the resistances (it uses force sensing resistors) and setting the velocities. so really it'll be a lot like routing a separate trigger finger to a core via midi, except the configuration will be done in mios. also, the trigger finger is discontinued and is available for pretty cheap from ebay.

let me know if you end up wanting to build one, i'll post the plans and i'll be using parts you can find easily at mouser (most likely). also writing the firmware for it will be no problem for me. i'll make a simple editor that allows you to add your drum machines, name the drums, and assign the mappings to them, so all you ever have to do after the one time setup is pick your machine and drum :).

ultra

Yeah, I just want an all-in-one box I can use with max/msp and my outboard samplers where the whole mixer maps concept is integrated with some pads.... I haven't used an mbseq yet, so it's all in my mind anyway. But I think a midibox drum trigger thing would be amazing! I would build one for home use for sure, and so if you need any help...... I know you have a trigger finger, and they're probably pretty cheap on the used market, but it might be cool to figure out a midibox pad solution that could be diy'd from the ground up. Although, the fsr's I've found seem to be pretty expensive and in short supply.

Did you (or anybody else) think about connecting force sensing resistors to an AIN board?

the drum layers idea sounds really cool btw.....

D.

Edited by mirrorcrypt

i've looked into FSR's and have also gotten some samples sent to me. i think the kind of effort it would take just isn't worth it, when a trigger finger is available cheap enough, and all the hard work is done for you. to use an FSR, you'd have to convert the resistance to a voltage using a transistor or an op amp, because the ain reads voltage. using it in a voltage divider wouldn't work either, because it wouldn't be linear.

so if you came up with a reliable way of doing this, i'm listening. but i think part of this project's attraction to me is how easy it would be.

ultra