Problems with MB-6582 Testtone upload *FIXED*

JaseM

Sorry about the delay. I tested both interfaces for MIDI input with the GorF and both were successfully transmitting MIDI data into the Mac.

I then plugged in the sammichSID and got the following data once the unit turned on.

With Audio Kontrol 1

21:18:01.182 From In SysEx Otari 8 bytes

With Midisport Uno

21:23:15.541 From Port 1 SysEx Otari 8 bytes

Is this the data that the core should be sending?

As for my Java version, here's the data:

java version "1.6.0_17"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04-248-10M3025)

Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.3-b01-101, mixed mode)

As for Mandolane, I couldn't find a way to determine the version code. The package I downloaded was called "MandolaneInstallV2_96.mpkg"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I noticed that on MIDI Monitor, that it has a function to use it as a way to send data. Could I use that layer to send the ready signal to MIOS and filter the output through MIDI Monitor back to the sammichSID core?

Hmm, we seem to be running the exact same version of java as well as the same version of snow leopard. v2_96 of mandolane is also what I'm using. As Wilba said, the 8 byte hex string is a good sign and is probably the core sending its periodic upload request. This would definitely indicate some kind of problem with mios studio and java, but it's strange that it works on my setup and not on yours, since they seem equivalent. Forgive me if this is completely out of line, but are you sure you have the ports routed correctly in the mios studio midi setup? It's not as intuitive as it could be, and I had it incorrectly configured when I first started using the program.

I thought I had it correct (Interface in to MIOS IN, Interface out to MIOS out). Though, I have noticed that there are more than 1 set of inputs/ showing up on my Mac. I'll post a screencap when I get back home.

As far as using MIDI-Ox, do I need to hook MIOS into the MIDI-Ox input or am I adjusting the settings as described in the Wiki?

I'll double check the MIDI-Ox settings on the netbook, again when I get back home.

I thought I had it correct (Interface in to MIOS IN, Interface out to MIOS out).

Interface in should go to MIOS OUT, and interface out should go to MIOS IN!

Disregard that, I'm completely wrong. What you have should be correct. Dyslexia!

Unless this is a hardware problem of some sort (which seems to be mostly ruled out), something is different between our computers that is making/breaking midi java compatibility, but since the relevant applications/libraries seem identical, it's hard to say what that is. Maybe Wilba's suggestion to borrow a windows box is the best option here, although it would be great to figure out what's going on with OS X, since I recall a couple other people having major problems with snow leopard as well, despite the mandolane fix. I wonder, do you have any other third party libraries installed that might be causing conflicts? mmj for instance? I've heard reports of the new 64-bit mmj actually breaking midi under 10.6.2.

Edited by jbartee

OK, I'm now able to get MIOS to recieve the Ready message ("SysEx: F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7") on the PC. I had to re-install MIDI-OX, but I've gotten the message in MIOS studio.

However, when I'm trying to upload, the device is still not uploading.

The only thing I'm noticing now is that the LED in the top righthand corner is on occasionally. Is this a sign of a hardware issue or is the problem still in the software?

So... start with the PC. Connect MIDI Out to MIDI In of your MIDI interface, run MIOS Studio, setup the routing and test that notes you send with the keyboard appear in the MIDI In window. Don't just assume it works, TEST IT! :)

Here's the MIDI Troubleshooting page:

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

You should be able to follow the troubleshooting guide, to both validate that MIOS Studio on the netbook is functioning correctly... that it is sending MIDI to the PIC. You need to try a loopback with just the cable between MIDI In/Out (PC end) then try taking the PIC out and shorting between the Tx and Rx pins (see Troubleshooting page).

Other things that could be wrong with sammichSID:

Missing jumpers or bad solder joints on JMI and JMO

Bad solder joints on MIDI sockets.

Missing/faulty 6N138 optocoupler.

You shouldn't try to upload again until you can test MIDI In on the sammichSID by sending it LCD commands through MIOS Studio (see sammichSID build guide). You won't be able to rule out hardware faults until you can prove MIOS Studio/MIDI is working to and from your MIDIbox hardware.

ALL RIGHT!!

TK sent me the Beta for MIOS Studio MKII and uploading seemed to work....

I say seemed because after uploading setup_sammich_sid.hex, I got the message "Rebooting MIOS" on the LCD of the Sammich.

Unfortunately nothing happened after that. I tried turning it off and on after shutting down MIOS MKII and re-starting, as well as trying to start up 9.4 (which crashed as soon as I connected the ports and started the Sammich) to no avail.

Now, when I turn on the Sammich, I just get blocks instead of "Ready".

These Midiboxes hate me.

ALL RIGHT!!

TK sent me the Beta for MIOS Studio MKII and uploading seemed to work....

I say seemed because after uploading setup_sammich_sid.hex, I got the message "Rebooting MIOS" on the LCD of the Sammich.

Unfortunately nothing happened after that. I tried turning it off and on after shutting down MIOS MKII and re-starting, as well as trying to start up 9.4 (which crashed as soon as I connected the ports and started the Sammich) to no avail.

Now, when I turn on the Sammich, I just get blocks instead of "Ready".

These Midiboxes hate me.

I had the same thing happen to me recently when I was troubleshooting midi connections. As philetaylor pointed out to me in the blocks indicate that the lcd isn't being initialized because mios has been corrupted, which most likely happened during your setup.hex upload.

Edited by jbartee

Were there any error messages in the upload progress window?

You can try uploading MIOS 1.9g again to the PIC.

You want to upload file: \mios_v1_9g\pic18f4685\midi\mios_v1_9g_pic18f4685.hex

in the MIOS 1.9g distribution: http://www.ucapps.de/mios/mios_v1_9g.zip

NOTE: I just tried it with MIOS Studio MkII Beta 3 and I get black bars too. I think this beta is broken. But some time really soon now TK will fix it :)

Sorry, my bad... my original MB-6582 is configured to use the alternate LCD driver (8bit instead of 4bit) which means I get black bars if just MIOS is installed, needs an app with the LCD driver. I uploaded setup_mb6582.hex and it works.

Stupid question...

Assuming I get MIOS 1.9g uploaded to PIC with MIOS Studio MKII, I should upload setup_mb6582.hex instead of setup_sammich_sid.hex?

I'm going to upload MIOS after I get home from work, so I'll be able to see what's going on then.

Edited by JaseM

Many thanks to TK, Wilba and everyone else! After updating MIOS studio MKII to a newer version, I uploaded MIOS 1.9g. Everything worked, so I uploaded the setup_sammich_sid.hex file and this time everything seems to work. I'm going to test banksticks and everything else tommorrow.

Thanks again for your help. Sorry about being a bit testy. These projects were driving me a bit crazy.