MB-6582 JD1-JD8 screwup

Snoozr

Hi all,

It looks like I missed the note and took the populate-the-headers recommendation too far and populated JD1-JD8 although I am planning on using the Pactec case. To make matters worse, I separately bought long 40-pin SILs and soldered them in large blocks to do so. My guess is that this will be more difficult to desolder. As a noob, I find desoldering a standard component with 2 joints a delicate challenge, but 40 joints seems like a whole other dimension. Is this a next-to-hopeless situation or is there some way to get the ribbon cable where it needs to go? Desperately seeking ideas here...thanks. Tried searching on JD1 6582 but there was only one post.

There are two approaches to desoldering this easily, both involve making the pins separate.

Idea #1: The plastic part of the header can slide off the pins. It might be possible to wedge a thin screwdriver under the plastic part and/or pull with long nose pliers, and get the plastic part off the header. Maybe cutting the top of the header pin just above the plastic will make it easier too.

Idea #2: Cut through the plastic part with a craft knife. This might make idea #1 easier (i.e. pull plastic part off smaller groups of pins instead of all at once) or just do it for every pin and then desolder one pin at a time.

Once you have pins separate, desoldering should be easy. Those pads are extra large and are unlikely to be damaged/lifted by desoldering. Be sure to use lots of desoldering braid/wick to clean up afterwards and don't forget to check you didn't create any shorts.

• 2 weeks later...