LCD T6963C

svenbogaerts

Hi all,

I have bought a graphical lcd to mess around with..to see what is does..to learn..

It is a 240x64 with a T6963C driver.

http://be02.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=532-7271

I'm not 100% sure about the connections.

I am working with MIOS8 and the connections for a T6963C controlled display are to find here http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_lcd_t6963c_mios8.pdf , but there are a few pins which I can not find how to connect.

CE (chip enable) => to ground??

Reset => to ground??

FS (font select) => to ground?? How are fonts selected here?

Anybody can advise me?

Thanks in advance,

Sven

Edited by svenbogaerts

the datasheet is not really clear about the polarity of CE and Reset. FS is set to 6x8 font by applying 5V, that's probably the font you want. The other two pins, the fastest way to find out what is the right setting is to try out all four possible combinations.

S

CE (chip enable) => to ground??

Reset => to ground??

FS (font select) => to ground?? How are fonts selected here?

You should be able to leave reset tied to ground but I guess CE would need to be tied to 5v to enable the chip?

FS is used by the internal font generator. The level of this pin doesn't matter as MIOS only supports graphic mode for this display type (MIOS used its own fonts).

Cheers

Phil

You should be able to leave reset tied to ground but I guess CE would need to be tied to 5v to enable the chip?

FS is used by the internal font generator. The level of this pin doesn't matter as MIOS only supports graphic mode for this display type (MIOS used its own fonts).

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for your replies.

I have tried CE to ground and CE to +5V. Nothing happens.

Reset is connected to ground and FS also to ground.

I have adjusted VO to -0.3V

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with uploading?...what i've done is this. I have uploaded the t6963c driver(horizontal screen) using Mios studio. After that I have uploaded the LC project. The LC is working fine, but nothing on the display except of the backlight.

Enough for today :-) Tomorrow will bring new inspiration..I hope :-)

cheers, Sven

According to the datasheet for the T6963C, it is (NOT)Chip Enable so MUST be low to enable communications.

I think the problem that you have is the RESET is also (NOT)RESET so must be High (tied to 5v) for normal operation. It has in internal pullup so it could also be left floating.

Cheers

Phil

According to the datasheet for the T6963C, it is (NOT)Chip Enable so MUST be low to enable communications.

I think the problem that you have is the RESET is also (NOT)RESET so must be High (tied to 5v) for normal operation. It has in internal pullup so it could also be left floating.

Cheers

Phil

Phil, You've got that right!

CE=low

Reset= floating

FS=Low but I think it doesn't matter.

I also had to adjust V0 to -8.35 instead of -0.3 to see something.

Thanks a lot! ;-)

Cheers

We're almost there.

The lcd is only working when I upload the driver for the T6963C. What I get is this http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_lcd7_t6963c_h_photo.jpg but in my case it looks a little better. So the LCD is working.

When I upload the LC project..the lcd doesn't work anymore. The settings in midibox_lc_v1_6d are like this now:

#define LCD_USE_SECOND 0

#define LCD_EMU_COL 55

I must be forgetting something?

regards,

Sven

mmm...well I did now :-)

in the makefile.orig it looks like this now:

# $Id: Makefile 311 2008-05-01 17:56:23Z tk $

# define the processor here

PROCESSOR = 18f452

# default flags to GPASM here

GPASM_FLAGS =

# include pathes (more will be added by asm_only.mk files)

GPASM_INCLUDE =

# optional defines that should be passed to GPASM

GPASM_DEFINES =

# default rule that defines the .hex files which should be created

# note: always require a "cleanall", since dependencies (e.g. on .h and .inc files) are not properly declared

all: cleanall setup_midibox_lc.hex setup_midibox_tk.hex

# include the asm_only.mk file

include $(MIOS_PATH)/include/makefile/asm_only.mk

# include application specific LCD driver (dummy driver by default)

include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/app_lcd/t6963c_h/app_lcd.mk

# include make rules for GLCD fonts

include $(MIOS_PATH)/modules/glcd_font/glcd_font.mk

Compiling this with the standard folder didn't work because he couldn't find the driver. Then I have replace the midibox_lc_v1_6d\modules\app_lcd\dummy by the lcd7_t6963c_h_v2a\modules\app_lcd\t6963c_h, so the new directory looks like this midibox_lc_v1_6d\modules\app_lcd\t6963c_h

Compiling works now, but after uploading still the lcd doesn't work. :-(

Edited by svenbogaerts