No LEDs lighting on MB6582

Snoozr

I recommend taking out the U20 IC and checking voltages on the pins that connect to JD5... they should be 5V when there are no buttons pressed. You can also test with U23 removed so there is nothing pulling current... the pins should stay 5V even when buttons are pressed.

I'm getting 5V except for on the bad line which is 0V. Procedure was take out U20, touch red lead to JD5 solder joints, touch black lead to GND. Repeated procedure with U23 out as well and got same result.

Similarly, you could check there is a 10K resistance between 5V and each of the JD5 pins.

I'm getting about 13K on the Sanwa, except for on the bad line which seems to have very little resistance (needle flies over and pins to zero). Procedure was take out U20, touch red lead to +5v, touch black lead to JD5 solder joints.

The LCD could be shorting with the "Select 5" switch. Check that first.

Then check the attached picture showing what is connected to that pin. Some vias are overlapped by encoders. It's unlikely but possible that an encoder is touching that via. AFAIK all the encoders I've seen have plastic feet so the metal base is not touching the PCB, but it's worth checking anyway.

post-3590-024880100 1283752746_thumb.png

Ewwww! What a revolting pun!

Lol. :thumbsup:

Case closed. I had previously applied electrical tape to the top part of the LCD so as to protect the LCD inputs from contacting anything. I decided to remove the LCD again so as to similarly apply tape to the bottom portion. Once it was removed, I powered up the little guy and there was no problem. Ka-ching. I applied electrical tape to the underside of the CS where Select 1-5 were and re-attached the LCD. Powered up and the problem was gone :D Select 5 does a number of important things like Save and Detune so I am glad to get that functionality, plus the perma-blinking matrix was cool for a while but started to get distracting. THANKS WILBA!!! :sorcerer: