LED Matrix: Software bug or hardware problem?

jbartee

Everything is almost done. Over the last couple weeks I've been troubleshooting (and, thankfully, resolving) a number of minor issues with my build, but there's one little problem that just won't go away.

Sometimes when switching between presets the led matrix will get stuck with garbage from the previous preset. This only seems to happen in the lead engine, and only in meter mode. This happens whether or not meter mode is enabled when switching patches. Initializing an engine change clears it, or simply engaging the appropriate LFO's will clear the stuck LEDs as well. LEDs only get stuck on, never off, and the specific LEDs that get stuck on always correspond to the animated zones from the previous preset's meter display. This seems to happen only when an LFO or envelope is being used in one preset, and then not used in a successive preset- the unused LFO leds just don't get cleared for some reason.

This can happen across engines too, but the behavior is slightly different. If I'm actually in meter mode in the drum engine and switch to a preset in the lead engine at the exact moment that any random leds are lit, those leds will remain lit in the new preset's meter mode.

It's a minor problem really, but kind of obnoxious. The problem is so specific and reproducible and reliant on behaviors governed by the software that I don't think it could be a construction error on my part... but you never know. Any thoughts, help, advice etc? I've troubleshooted it as far as I can on my own and can't seem to resolve it.

anybody? This one has me really confused. Just a short, "yes my machine does the same thing," or "I have no idea what you're talking about" would really help stop pulling my hair out over this issue. In particular, I'm interested to hear from people who've built modular mbsids.

My guess it is a software issue and something TK could look at. If you wired your modular exactly like the diagrams (i.e. you haven't needed to change the setup_?.asm to suit your DIN/DOUT wiring) then perhaps other people can check using their own modular setups.

My guess it is a software issue and something TK could look at. If you wired your modular exactly like the diagrams (i.e. you haven't needed to change the setup_?.asm to suit your DIN/DOUT wiring) then perhaps other people can check using their own modular setups.

Thanks so much for responding Wilba. I haven't changed the setup.asm except to enable analog inputs at j5 and change some encoder types to non detented. My matrix is wired slightly oddly in that that it has a unique current limiting resistor at each led, and the dout boards are running off their own power supply instead of tapping power from the core (I did this to overcome some brightness problems and eliminate psu noise). However, this issue existed back when I had everything wired exactly as described in the schematics and was using the default setup.asm.

So it looks like software I guess... it's as if the memory for meter mode isn't being cleared properly on patch changes. It's not a big problem or anything, I was just worried it might be a "canary in the coal mine" and indicative of some big blunder I made. It still seems a little strange that no one else would have noticed this bug since it's kind of hard to miss; anyone seen anything like this on their modulars?

EDIT: also, I have bought you a beer. It's been long overdue. :smile:

Edited by jbartee

I also assumed that this could be a software bug and quickly tried to reproduce this on my MB-6582 after the initial posting of jbartee, but without success (there are no artifacts with with the MB-6582 matrix configuration).

The matrix control handling is (a bit) different on the original MBSID design, but I haven't found the time to test this with the latest firmware yet.

It could take some days...

Therefore I haven't replied to this posting yet.

It would be helpful if somebody could confirm that he noticed exactly the same issue on his MBSID before I'm spending hours in searching for a bug which probably is related to something we don't know yet (e.g. failed firmware upload or invalid configuration - e.g. DOUT pins mapped to LED Matrix pins)?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: and who buys me a beer? ;)

I also assumed that this could be a software bug and quickly tried to reproduce this on my MB-6582 after the initial posting of jbartee, but without success (there are no artifacts with with the MB-6582 matrix configuration).

The matrix control handling is (a bit) different on the original MBSID design, but I haven't found the time to test this with the latest firmware yet.

It could take some days...

Therefore I haven't replied to this posting yet.

It would be helpful if somebody could confirm that he noticed exactly the same issue on his MBSID before I'm spending hours in searching for a bug which probably is related to something we don't know yet (e.g. failed firmware upload or invalid configuration - e.g. DOUT pins mapped to LED Matrix pins)?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: and who buys me a beer? ;)

Thanks TK. Anything I can do to help narrow this down just let me know. I uploaded mios and the mbsid application a few times already, always with smart mode and with no errors shown, but I will try again tonight just to be sure (edit: this will also give me an opportunity to try out the new mios studio 2!). I haven't messed around with pin configurations at all, I only enabled analog inputs at j5 and switched some of the encoder modes.

It's still entirely possible that I've just screwed something up, but the matrix works flawlessly otherwise...

Also, I will buy you a beer if I can figure out how... you don't have a convenient donate button in your sig! :)

Edited by jbartee

Okay, I just reuploaded both mios and the midibox sid app using mios studio 2. No errors and everything progressed smoothly, but the matrix problem persists.

I've also tried using the editor to upload blank initialized banks to the ensemble and patch banksticks, thinking that perhaps I had some corrupt patches, but this hasn't fixed it either. Is there a way to completely reformat the banksticks and start totally from scratch?

Tk, you have no idea how relieved I am that I don't have to tear my box back open in order to fix this... thank you times 9000. And seriously, how can I buy you a beer (or otherwise donate?)

PS:

Where can I download the fix? :tongue:

Edited by jbartee

Tk, you have no idea how relieved I am that I don't have to tear my box back open in order to fix this... thank you times 9000.

The interesting point is, that nobody has noticed this bug before, although it exists for all MBSID devices excluding SammichSID (which uses a different matrix handling) ;)

And seriously, how can I buy you a beer (or otherwise donate?)

Ok, I pirated Wilba's signature and changed the email address ;)

Where can I download the fix?

It's already in the repository, a precompiled fix will be part of RC36

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Beer bought. :smile:

Thanks for the link to the repository, I'll have a go at compiling it later tonight. It's definitely a little strange no one noticed the bug before... I guess actually seeing it is totally reliant on the order you have your patches saved in though.