need midi clock input solution

peroja

hello

im working on a step secuencer with a 555 and a 4017

is it possible to bypass the input comming from the 555 into the 4017 with a clock signal?

as example, right now the 555 gives the 4017 the clock signal for every step but i want to put a switch in between to switch to an external clock signal so the signal comming from extern gives the 4017 the pulse for the steps. i know what a midi clock is. either i want to build a midi clock that gives the signal to the 4017 processor and also gives the signal for another device OR to simply RECIEVE a signal from extern. any sugestions?

thanks

randy

Hi,

so long the MIDI interface only sends the clock signal (0xf8) and nothing else, it should be possible to create a discrete solution with a 1:6 divider (because 0xf8 is sent 6 times for each 16th step).

Once other events are sent as well (such as 0xfa for MIDI start, 0xfb for continue, 0xfc for stop), it will get a bit more complex if you don't want to use a microcontroller.

Best Regards, Thorsten.